Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward Skimmer and main drain questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward Skimmer and main drain questions

I have a Hayward sp 1070 skimmer. Since I have owned the pool there has never been a weir door installed. Do I need one?

I have also attached a pic of the bottom of the skimmer. Its hard to make out in the picture but one of the holes is plugged with a threaded plug. Is this where my main drain is plumbed to? My main drain has never had any suction. Should I unscrew that plug to give myself some main drain suction? If so, do i need the Float Valve Assembly (I believe this is the flying saucer looking thing) that is listed here?

http://www.poolcenter.com/parts_skimmer ... sp1070.htm

Thanks,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    12,500 Gal In Ground Plaster, Zodiac lm2-24 SWG, Cartridge Filter, Attached spa, Waterfall, Phoenix AZ

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward Skimmer and main drain questions

Thanks for the question...I have the same one (I think or it's very close to the same) and it seems my bottom drain has no suction either. The second hole in mine doesn't have a plug, but has a plate with a screw covering it. Since we bought the house with the existing pool, I don't know all the particulars about the system.
    Chris A.
    20x40 36k gal IG vinyl pool w/diving board & slide | 1.25HP Pentair Challenger motor & pump | 30" Triton TR100 sand filter | Pentair SM-20-3 multiport | Stenner 45MHP2 Peristaltic Pump & 13 gallon carboy (BBB) | Hayward CL200 Tablet Chlorinator (used on pool startup) | TF-100 | 2003 Sundance 850 Altamar hot tub

3. Back To Top    #3

*bump* Sure would like to get some feedback on this one.
    Chris A.
    20x40 36k gal IG vinyl pool w/diving board & slide | 1.25HP Pentair Challenger motor & pump | 30" Triton TR100 sand filter | Pentair SM-20-3 multiport | Stenner 45MHP2 Peristaltic Pump & 13 gallon carboy (BBB) | Hayward CL200 Tablet Chlorinator (used on pool startup) | TF-100 | 2003 Sundance 850 Altamar hot tub

4. Back To Top    #4

Without seeing the pool and equipment pad, or it's it's plumbing, there isn't enough information to determine why your drains aren't working.

azdaren's pic looks like it has a steel plug. That should be exchanged for a PVC plug. It is an unused port on this application.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.