Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine Tabs

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine Tabs

Do I still need to use chlorine tabs with the BBB method and can I purchase them from Home Depot or similar store or should I get them from our pool store and pay the extra $$$ ?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Les
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!

2. Back To Top    #2
    I quit using tabs when I switched to bleach. If you are going to be away from your pool and don't have anyone to dump bleach in for you, then tabs work in that situation.
    WetEdge Satin Matrix, 16K gallon, Pentair NSP-60 DE filter, Pac Fab Challenger, 2HP pump, BBB, Polaris 360

3. Back To Top    #3

Interesting to hear that you don't use the tabs anymore. We have a 40,000 gallon gunite pool that does not have an automatic chlorinator so we use the bobbers. Our chlorine levels are never right and we just went thru a bout of algae. So my husband and I have joined this forum to try and figure some things out as we are first year pool owners.
    20x40 In-ground Vinyl liner with no swg yet and no heater approximatley 25000 gals

4. Back To Top    #4
    We have only been pool owners for a year now. As you read about BBB, you will learn that the tabs add CYA (stabilizer) to your water. The higher the CYA, higher chlorine levels are needed to keep the water sanitized. Bleach adds no CYA.

Read the stickies when you get a chance -

http://troublefreepool.com/sticky.php
    WetEdge Satin Matrix, 16K gallon, Pentair NSP-60 DE filter, Pac Fab Challenger, 2HP pump, BBB, Polaris 360

5. Back To Top    #5

A quick note on tabs: If you decide that you want to use them, read the label and make sure that they haven't added copper (copper sulfide, I think) to them -- the copper will tend to stain the pool's surface and is unnecessary if you keep a sufficient free cl.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)