Algae growth ABOVE water line

Sep 6, 2010
New to this forum-I have a gunite pool which was resurfaced in late April. Previous surface was used for 10 years with no problems of algae EVER! I have been fighting algae at the waterline and ABOVE, yes above water, for 5 weeks. It tends to grow on grout, tile and on the skimmer basket wiers. I have tried shocking. Used pool store recommended algaecide (2 bottles at $28 each) I brush, scrub, brush scrub, 2 hours a day. Raised water level up high and it seemed to get rid of it. Lowered water back down to normal level and it came back. Cleaned cartridges. It is a brownish black color. Some is slimey and some is hard. Soaked wiers in bleach, put back and it grows again overnight. Pool store owner is stumped. He has never seen algae that grows above waterline and so far he can't get rid of it. I use chlorine tabs, granular shock, Endure was added to pool in early June because of calcium line on tile. Water testing shows very high chlorine levels which are "bleaching out" test kit. PH was showing low, but chlorine level may be messing with this. Any suggestions?

Welcome! :wave:
Not sure on why the stuff would be growing above the waterline, but put some particulars in your signature. Go to the top left of the page and click on User Control Panel then edit signature. Please put the size of your pool, gallons of H2O, type of surface etc. so that folks may better be able to help out.

Secondly, I would check those tabs that you are using because "Dichlor and trichlor add CYA and lower pH. Cal-hypo adds CH." *taken right off of the pool calculator*. IF you have high CYA, then it renders chlorine useless unless the Chlorine and CYA are at compatible levels. Check pool school for the CYA chart.

Lastly, you need a good test kit so that you can get on top of your numbers and stay there. If the pool store is checking everything for you, their numbers may not be as reliable as most times, their testing is done with strips so it is quick and they can sell you lots and lots of chemicals that will supposedly "fix" the problem. A lot of folks here recommend the TF100 test kit as it has everything you need to take charge of your pool. Another kit recommended is made by Taylor but sorry, the number of the product escapes me at the moment.

You are in the right place if you want to take control of your pool and clean it up with minimal cost. There are a lot of intelligent and capable people here to help you because if one of us can't usually another one can.

Again, Welcome to TFP. The Friendliest Phorum on the Web!

Reactions: AustinCoco
Hi there..I have noticed some small growths (I assume some sort of algae) above water line in my skimmers, only in grout (both deep and shallow ends). It is just a tiny spot which I remove with my fingernail...My water seems well chlorinated and balanced, but these two spots show themselves usually after heavy rain...never think much of it, but now that you mention your particular problem, it may be that in your case, the tiny spots grew out of control....I would suggest brushing the area with clorox and see how it goes...

Thanks for all the replys. Still have algae but it is less than before. Pool builder is coming out either late this week or beginning of next week to make repairs to waterfall (wiers set too far back) and fill in crevis void in skimmer that tile crew failed to grout!! I think this is where the algae is. I can't fit a brush in it but I tried a Q-tip and it broke off in it. The Q-tip edge floated out today and it had algae on it....and part of the crevis is above the water. I also put a chlor tab in a sock and put it near this and overnight algae grew on the sock on areas above water. Sooo frustrating. Will post pics of algae on the sock. I have a gunite pool with waterfall, 2 pumps (1 for pool and 1 for waterfall), cartridge filter, and Caretaker inground automatic cleaning system. I will have water tested this week. Was showing high chlorine levels, stabilizer fine, PH low.

I get algae on the rocks above the water line, that and calcium deposits, <sigh>. I spray with 50% Clorox and try to brush but the moss rock is too rough and brushing does not much good. And the PB left deep crevices between rocks so the brush cannot fit. I just live with it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a similar issue with my pool. I keep the water very well balanced and chlorinated per advice here. I have never had an algae problem with the water. But above the water line there are several areas of natural stone and grout that get algae from time to time. It is usually in areas that do not get a lot direct sunlight.

My solution has been to put bleach in a spray bottle and spray the problem areas. After about five or ten minutes I splash pool water to rinse it off. Usually clears it up for several weeks.

I did a search for pictures from momx2pool and it didn't find any.

When you upload a pic to photobucket and then go look at it there will be an "img" link under it when you select it. Just "ctrl+c" the link and then come back and paste it here in your post.

PoolAlgae-1.jpg

PoolAlgae2.jpg

You learn something new everyday!!

Ooooo, it looks like a Blob. (cue the scary sci-fi music) I know I've never seen anything like it.

Is it growing or just accumulating? I'm wondering if there is some sort of floating jelly like substance that is related to the use of Endure? I looked up Endure and it seems to be sodium tetraborate. Not sure how that could be any part of this.

If that sock has chlorine inside it, I doubt that this is a living thing. Besides the Endure, what other products have you added to this pool? Flocculants? Clarifiers? Some other magic potions that don't say what they are but claim to make your filter stay cleaner, the water clearer, etc, etc?

LOL, yea it is a blob, at least on the sock. And yes there was chlorine in it. When I pour bleach over the spots they break up and almost dissolve so I thought it was algae. Haven't added anything except algaecide from Walmart (hth brand) and expensive algaecide from pool store. A clarifier was added not long after water was added to pool because water was so cloudy. The spots are appearing less on the grout and tile, but are always on skimmer weirs. If I leave pump on 24 hours, they don't collect--and never below water line. I soak weirs with bleach, doesn't help. I'm getting water tested on Thurs. again. I need to purchase good test kit and start checking myself!!

I doubt the heat or humidity is a factor, I suspect the algaecides or the clarifier. Was the clarifier added before or after the Blob showed up? What about the algaecides, before or after the Blob?

It seems reasonable that there are floating blobs on the surface of the pool that are slowly being skimmed out, but they get stuck on the walls near the skimmer. What is blobby and sticky like that, I do not know. I suspect the clarifier, in that they are polymers and might therefore be blobby. It may be that the borates had an effect. We need to ask someone who knows these things, as I am only guessing.

Showed up after clarifier but before algaecides. Also note that when they attach to tile or grout they tend to harden and turn brownish/black. I suspected black algae since they are hard to scrub off when hardened. My pool builder didn't think so. I am at a loss and somewhat irritated with all the employees at the pool store. I think they didn't believe me....wait till I bring them these pictures. And I now believe that Endure was not needed and it cost $342!!!!!! I never had these problems with the other surface (10 years) only since the new surface and tile were put in.

Question?? my pool measures 20 wide x 40 long, deep end is 8 1/2 feet and shallow end is 3 1/2 feet. It has been sooo long since we put in the pool and I couldn't remember the gallons of water it holds. By using the calculator I am showing about 35,000 gal. The shape is irregular with a large circular end on shallow side. I used the rectangular shape in calculator. My pool builder keeps saying 28,000....I think that is wrong and he keeps forgetting to look up original paperwork from 10 years ago. Ughh

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.