Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Closing down a 18' Intex above ground

Closing down a 18' Intex above ground

What do i need to do to close the pool down? Is it just as easy to drain it and take it down ? Total newb so most detail as possible. Searching the forum for answers hasn't really helped but makes me want more questions answered lol
    18' x 52" Intex steel frame pool
    1500 gph pool pump
    Kingston Ontario Canada

Re: Closing down a 18' Intex above ground

Here's an article in Pool School

I think the big question is, do you have room to store it if you do take it down?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Here's an article in Pool School

I think the big question is, do you have room to store it if you do take it down?
    Ya i could take it down and fold it up and store it in the shed till spring. I just thought it would be cheaper to start up in the spring. It cost 200 to have it filled this spring. Could it freeze and split over the winter?
    1500 gph pool pump
    Kingston Ontario Canada

Yes, you need to drain it and store it for the winter. Vinyl + ice and cold weather aren't a good mix. After draining as much water as you can, it's a good idea to take old towels and dry it as best you can (we always let our sit out a couple of days after draining it to get good and dry). If you have or can borrow a submersible pump, it helps get the last few inches of water out that never seem to want to flow through the drain.
    Nikki in IL
    18'x33'x52" AGP, 1.5hp Hayward pump, 200# Hayward sand filter, Aqua-Trol SWG
    "Intex graduate" from a 5400 gal, 18'x48" Intex quick set, crystal clear everyday (with the original Intex equip)for 3 seasons thanks to TFP and BBB

I agree with Nikki! I just finished pumping out mine and towel drying it. I've got to get it down today...it's supposed to rain tonight.

I've heard that using talc powder helps make sure to get all the missed moisture. I'm gonna try it...

Be sure you get ALL the water out of your pump/filter/SWG before you store them. I have my SWG tilted on it's side to make sure all the water is out.
    5,000 Gallon 16'x 48" Intex Ultra Frame, Waterway 1hp sand filter, Intex SWG, AquaCritter, TF100
    Climate/Location: SW Iowa

it depends on where you live. In this part of NC a lot of people leave their Intex pools up all year. They remove the lines & plug the holes. It normally doesnt get cold enough to freeze any more than the top 1/2in of water & even then it is normally thawed within 1 day.
    Intex 16ftx32ftx52in rectangular / Hayward 2 speed pump / Hayward 21in sand filter / Intex SWG / still saying solar panels coming next year

Thanks for the replies.. I will be taking it down this weekend. Thanks for the help
    1500 gph pool pump
    Kingston Ontario Canada

Just store it indoors or somewhere that critters can't get in it. My Intex became a party point for squirrels or mice (not sure which) who got trapped in the folds and then had to eat their way out. They even went right through the Kevlar reinforced bottom section that is almost impossible to patch.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

Back when I had one of these pools I used to get the shop vac out and help to remove some of the remaining small puddles to help it to dry faster.

1) 8500 Gallons (18 foot, 52 inches deep)
    2) Hayward Cartridge Filter
    3) Above Ground Pool
    4) Hayward 2 HP pump