Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: question on adding specified amt of 10% chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

question on adding specified amt of 10% chlorine

Just tested the water and here are my #'s.
    FC 4
    CC 0
    PH 7.5
    Alk 110

I plugged these numbers into the pool calculator (which I love) and it is telling me to add 1 gal + a bit more to get my FC to 5. Does this seem to be an extreme amount of 10% chlorine to you all to move 1 place?

I have not added it yet.
    2005 Dimension One Venture model 370 gal. hot tub. We'll be using the TFP method to keep it clean and ready to use!
    TFP - The Finest Phorum on the Net!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: question on adding specified amt of 10% chlorine

What is your CYA?

For 13,000 gallons I get 2 cups of 10%
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

3. Back To Top    #3

you know, I haven't checked my CYA in a while b/c my FC has been holding well. I guess I should go and check, eh?
    2005 Dimension One Venture model 370 gal. hot tub. We'll be using the TFP method to keep it clean and ready to use!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Dora
    Just tested the water and here are my #'s.
    FC 4
    CC 0
    PH 7.5
    Alk 110

I plugged these numbers into the pool calculator (which I love) and it is telling me to add 1 gal + a bit more to get my FC to 5. Does this seem to be an extreme amount of 10% chlorine to you all to move 1 place?

I have not added it yet.
    Looks like you entered 1% instead of 10% in the FC line.

You certainly need to know CYA, or you may be underchlorinating.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

I went outside and checked the CYA and the # is 40. I did the test twice (same reagent mixture) and came up with the same reading both times.
    Just a recap:
    FC 4
    CC 0
    PH 7.5
    Alk 110
    CYA 40

Wondering why the pool calc told me to use a gallon of bleach to increase my FC from 4 to 5.
    As for the 1% v 10%, I chose the 10% option on the drop down menu. Very strange......

6. Back To Top    #6

I get 1 gallon and a quart if I enter 130,000 gallons instead of 13,000 gallons for the pool size.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

You hit it on the head, Bama. The total gal. for my pool had an extra zero added, hence the extra chlorine. Not sure how that happened, but no harm done. Thanks to all who were right in there helping me out. Now I will go and add the 2C of chlorine instead of the gallon+.
    Cheers. Hope the holiday is panning out well for all folks who are off today.