Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bernoulli: Incoming!

1. Back To Top    #1

Bernoulli: Incoming!

Just closed the deal with my preferred builder. He'll be here Thursday to get started.

Thank you all very much for making me a better-informed and prepared consumer. I don't know if I got the best deal, but it's considerably better than if I hadn't been able to lean on your experience.

Sim
    Hydraulically mundane 20x40 rectangular polymer (~30K gal.), IntelliFlo VS+SVRS pump, IntelliChlor IC40 SWCG, Pentair CCP520 cartridge filter, LED light, 2xDeck Jets, SR Smith Turbo Twister slide

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bernoulli: Incoming!

Don't forget to post pictures of that hydraulically mundane pool!
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

No chance of that! Here we go. First a "before" picture:[attachment=2:2k1zrmh5]01Site.png[/attachment:2k1zrmh5]
    after clearing out the crab apple tree and overgrown flagstone patio:[attachment=1:2k1zrmh5]02ClearedSite.png[/attachment:2k1zrmh5]
    after helping unload the truck (long story)[attachment=0:2k1zrmh5]03KitDelivered.png[/attachment:2k1zrmh5]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hydraulically mundane 20x40 rectangular polymer (~30K gal.), IntelliFlo VS+SVRS pump, IntelliChlor IC40 SWCG, Pentair CCP520 cartridge filter, LED light, 2xDeck Jets, SR Smith Turbo Twister slide

4. Back To Top    #4

Congrats!

Keep us updated on the progress, I love seeing things built.

Can you give us some specs on your pump and heater choices, kind of interested in how pricing compares to up north too.

Wish you the best of luck on your construction project.
    55 Kilolitre in-ground 18'X36' vinyl lined kidney shape, 1HP pump, Jacuzzi 250lb sand filter, RayPak Delta T 200K BTU natural gas heater. New PoolWerks "Blue Diffusion" liner on May 26th-2011

5. Back To Top    #5

Day one: Excavation.

The pool builder's crew and the excavators had obviously worked together many times before and knew exactly what they were doing. The backhoe operator was amazing; he could use the hoe as if it were an extra limb.
    [attachment=2:1xccmh8t]04Measuring.png[/attachment:1xccmh8t]
    [attachment=1:1xccmh8t]05Excavating.png[/attachment:1xccmh8t]
    [attachment=0:1xccmh8t]06PoolLayout.png[/attachment:1xccmh8t]

6. Back To Top    #6

Day one continued: Drains.

The builder spent a long time (over an hour) figuring out how best to manage the flow from the curtain drain. He shot elevations all over the yard and consulted the backhoe operator on dry wells. Eventually, after raising the elevation of the pool edge and changing the planned deep end from 8'6" to 8' even, he found a place to run the drain to.

[attachment=2:1c5ae5kx]07DeepEnd.png[/attachment:1c5ae5kx]
    [attachment=1:1c5ae5kx]08GravelAndUnderDrain.png[/attachment:1c5ae5kx]
    [attachment=0:1c5ae5kx]09RunToDaylight.png[/attachment:1c5ae5kx]

7. Back To Top    #7

Day one: What do you mean "See you Monday"?

The crew left for the day at 3:30. C'mon guys, there are 24 hours in a day. Also, tomorrow will be sunny and mild - perfect for working on my pool!

8. Back To Top    #8

I forgot the pool and price specs for 4JawChuck. Speaking of which, 4 jaws is overkill. No chuck should ever need more than 3 jaws

Base price for the pool was $30K, and $9.25/sq ft for concrete, both of which are very high even for the Northeast. However, I was able to negotiate for about 400 sq. ft. of concrete at no charge, fill and some other material at cost, and a fixed $1K for drainage system. I don't really like the price, but it was the lowest credible one of the five quotes I got.

Pump is a Pentair IntelliFlo VS+SVRS. No heater yet, but I do need one. A friend has a DIY solar setup I may copy, and I'm looking for a used propane heater to help the solar keep up.

Edit: that was 400 extra feet, in addition to the ~600 included with the pool.

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks Sim, appreciate the pricing and pic updates. You can't beat gas heaters for instantaneous comfort, solar is nice but I consider it an add-on to a gas heater. I doubt you could heat your pool to 34C with solar in Vermont.

Keep up the good work!

As for extended working hours I have found free alcholic liquid refreshments tend to slightly extend the work day but there is an exponential decrease in work production after the first one.

P.S. Four jaw chucks usually have serrations too!
    55 Kilolitre in-ground 18'X36' vinyl lined kidney shape, 1HP pump, Jacuzzi 250lb sand filter, RayPak Delta T 200K BTU natural gas heater. New PoolWerks "Blue Diffusion" liner on May 26th-2011

10. Back To Top    #10

[attachment=2:271koz3s]11WallPanels.png[/attachment:271koz3s]
    [attachment=1:271koz3s]12LevelingPanels.png[/attachment:271koz3s]
    [attachment=0:271koz3s]13Plumbing.png[/attachment:271koz3s]

I wasn't there during most of the wall assembly and plumbing, but I got a few pics. They're pouring the collar tomorrow morning.

There's one tee under the stairs for the dual stair returns, otherwise everything is a home run. Balancing with valves at the pad will no doubt be fun, but I knew that when I asked for it. It's all flex - anathema!

11. Back To Top    #11

It's been rainy, and the liner was delayed, so progress has been slow. The liner should be here Monday.
    [attachment=1:3una0jey]14PouringCollar.png[/attachment:3una0jey]

Not the best angle, but you can see that the hopper isn't symmetrical. The right side slope is at least 15 degrees steeper than the left side. The builder says they'll fix it on Monday. That may leave the drains slightly off center, but that doesn't seem like a major problem.
    [attachment=0:3una0jey]15MainDrains.png[/attachment:3una0jey]

12. Back To Top    #12

Another few days progress. The pool is now full of pond water...
    [attachment=2:2ibs44j4]16Bottom.png[/attachment:2ibs44j4]
    [attachment=1:2ibs44j4]17Liner.png[/attachment:2ibs44j4]
    [attachment=0:2ibs44j4]18CurtainDrain.png[/attachment:2ibs44j4]

13. Back To Top    #13

The builder backfilled with crushed rock. I don't know if that was because of all my questions about concrete strength and cracking, but it probably didn't hurt.
    [attachment=1:1y4verv5]19Backfill.png[/attachment:1y4verv5]

I found a problem. I was billed for a Pentair Intellibrite White LED. I just double-checked, and what I actually got is an Amerlite - Pentair, but not an LED. I think it's an honest mistake, and he should be able to just swap in the correct one when we close the pool. One more reason to make sure the equipment is itemized specifically on the invoice. I wish I'd checked it more carefully, but this should be OK.
    [attachment=0:1y4verv5]20Light.png[/attachment:1y4verv5]

14. Back To Top    #14

After all the backfilling and prep was done, they had to wait for a clear day to pour the concrete deck.
    [attachment=2:2djpwes4]21Rebar.png[/attachment:2djpwes4]

Wednesday was clear and warm, a perfect day for the pour. Thursday and today have been warm with steady rain. Not good for working in, but excellent for curing the deck properly
    [attachment=1:2djpwes4]22Pour.png[/attachment:2djpwes4]
    [attachment=0:2djpwes4]23Finished.png[/attachment:2djpwes4]

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

Nice to see it filled with good clean water

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by teapot
    Nice to see it filled with good clean water
    Can't beat the price though...
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

17. Back To Top    #17

Yeah, pretty gross, but it was free and fast. To have clean water trucked in would have added at least $1,200 to the price, and filling from our well would have taken much too long.

When they added chlorine and algicide, the sediment settled out very quickly. It's a little murky now after all the rain. The pump and filter should be hooked up early next week, and they'll be able to get the gunk out.

18. Back To Top    #18

Congrats on the new pool, its beautiful.

Hope you get some time to enjoy it before winter hits you.

19. Back To Top    #19

Thanks I'd have less to celebrate without the help of folks here.

I've already told my wife I'm going down the slide at least once this year, even if I have to break through a layer of ice to get into the water. It'll be close - we're expecting frost tonight. Daytime highs in the 50's, nighttime lows in the 30's. I may have to do it in my Carhartt winter coveralls...

20. Back To Top    #20

That water will clear right up with your caetridge filter. NIce pool.
    [center:3gj9kdnn]Matt Heck
    "HECK OF A POOL SERVICE LLC"
    Serving Ocean co. NJ
    COMPANY INFO BELOW
    http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=en ... 2995187987[/center:3gj9kdnn]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast