A photo of my Hayward Pool Equipment.

Aug 17, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Hi,

I wish I had found this Forum before we got started. I stumbled here looking for information on PH balance.
But now that we have the pool installed I am hoping we made the right choices.

Here is a photo of all the pool equipment installed on an outdoor pad..... http://my-pool.blogspot.com/2010/09/hay ... nator.html

So far so good. We are very happy with the way everything is working, we haven't received our 1st hydro bill or gas bill yet - so I'll post that on my blog when it comes in.

18' x 30' Odysee II shaped in-ground pool and Equipment :

1. Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter Model # S-244T2 (300 lbs)
2. Hayward Super II Pump Model # SP3007X10A
3. Hayward Turbo Cell T-Cell-15 for pools up to 40,000 gallons
4. Hayward H Series Natural Gas Heater Model # H250 FDN
5. Haywrard Goldline Aquarite Salt Chlorine Generator AQR-CUL (white box mounted above)

offgrid said:
I am hoping we made the right choices.

-Pump's 1hp for 300 lbs sand: Not oversized. Surprising.
-Cell's adequate for pool's size.
-Gaz Heater might happen to be more costly in the long run than Heat Pump. Depends on your needs. So my advice is irrelevant.

Hayward is a reputable company. Replacement parts are not particularily cheap, but they are readily available, so I do not think you'll regret your investment.

People tend to get Pool Stored (led to buy products with little/no use) when it comes to chemicals. This site is a wonderful repository of informations. If you're not (or worst, the Pool Clerk is not...) sure a product will help, do not buy it right away and come ask a guru here.

I would advise you to get a good test kit and explore the pool school. A balanced water and right CYA/Free Chlorine level will works wonders to keep your T-Cell-15 in working condition longer.

So, welcome to Trouble-Free Pool!

The Industry, especially pool stores (like ours) tend to sell oversized pumps for filters/pools. This is particularly hilarious in our own showroom. Since the pool is WAY too small for it's 1.5 hp pump, the pressure at the water return is so high it causes some form of vacuum, which sucks air in causing a loud sucking noise and forcing us to keep the demo shut down.

We simply do not keep anything under 1.5 hp for aboveground pools in store.

I was expecting a pump oversized for your filter/pool. It is not. Everything's fine. Which (I'm sorry) surprised me, a bit.

Question raised however... do you have a deal on natural gas?
Do you plan to use it all season long?
Is it for special occasions?
Do you use a solar blanket?

If your use is occasionnal and/or have a great deal on natural gas, a gas heater is a sound choice. If not, go ask your dealer if on the long run an heat pump would be a better deal. Those are more costly on the spot, but since they use heat in the air, if you plan on heating your pool season long, it might be a sound choice. And most won't mind upgrading, since an heatpump is a bigger investment.

A solar blanket is a MUST HAVE. You'll invest a lot, even with an Heat Pump to get your water heated, avoiding loss during nighttime is mandatory.

Hope it helped.

Nice clean install except I would have turned the pump 180 degrees to make cleaning the basket strainer a little easier...no biggie.

You won't find many fans of the flexible lines on this website like you have (mine is plumbing similarily except for my lines to the pool are hard plumbed through a port in the pad) but they survive Canadian winters just fine, my flexible lines are 20yrs old and look like new so no worries.

Do you have a ball valve at the pump inlet to prevent loosing the prime when you clean the basket? I have one on mine and its very handy but your pad may be below pool level so it wouldn't matter...hard to tell from the pic.

Haywardpump.jpg

I have a 200K btu Raypak NG heater on my 55000 litre pool (18'X36' kidney similar to yours) and wish I had a 350K or larger heater when it gets really cold out, I find it has trouble keeping up when I uncover the pool and use it while its 10C outside and will drop a few degrees uncovered in an evening even at full blast.

I was shocked how cheap my gas bill was last month considering I didn't cover the pool every night and we had a cold snap where it dipped close to 5C at night. NG is cheap here so I cranked the pool from 28C to 34C so we can swim when its cold enough outside to see your breath...neighbors think we are nuts! LOL! We keep the cover on all the time now unless were using it to keep the heat loss to a minimum, with the cover on the heater will turn off and the cover keeps the pool warm enough overnight that its right back up to 34C after a couple hours of runtime in the AM.

Enjoy your pool! :goodjob:

4JawChuck : Did you buy a large Solar blanket and cut to fit the kidney shape ? or 2 overlapping circles like we did ? Do you have your blanket on a reel or just pull off an fold ? I forgot to put the cover on last night and the pool dropped about 5 degrees (dropped to 67 F). Heater is running now. I'll let you know how long it takes to go from 67 to 80. (sun is also shining today which will help a lot)

offgrid said:
4JawChuck : Did you buy a large Solar blanket and cut to fit the kidney shape ? or 2 overlapping circles like we did ? Do you have your blanket on a reel or just pull off an fold ? I forgot to put the cover on last night and the pool dropped about 5 degrees (dropped to 67 F). Heater is running now. I'll let you know how long it takes to go from 67 to 80. (sun is also shining today which will help a lot)

My solar cover is made from three 4' wide strips bonded together to make a custom fit, there is about 1" clearance around the perimeter...they did a nice job making it fit. There is even a flap over the steps bolted on with plastic nuts and bolts so no water surface actually shows when its on. I have a reel that I roll the cover onto, there is rubber straps riveted onto the reel that allow one person to roll the cover up...the same plastic nuts and bolts + plates are used to attach the cover to the straps. It works pretty slick since I can deploy and stow the cover virtually by myself, I have an eyeball aimed to help move the cover into the shallow end to make it a one person job. Once the cover is on the reel I use a length of electrical 14-2 wire to keep the wind from blowing it off since I like to keep it clean.

In our climate anything you can do to reduce heat loss and evaporation will help a lot on the heat bill, I am actually surprised how cheap it has been to heat the pool while its been so chilly the last couple of months...when I pull the cover off you can feel the heat come pouring off the waters surface. I keep the cover clean by using a hose to spray it off towards the skimmer which works pretty well, every week I push the cover under the water so it has a layer of chlorinated water on the surface to keep algae at bay...helps when you get a lot of rain.

Re: every week I push the cover under the water so it has a layer of chlorinated water on the surface to keep algae at bay...helps when you get a lot of rain.

Excellent advice. I'll do that also.

Outside air Temperature dropped to below 10 F last night and with the cover on I only lost 2 degrees.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What kind of gas appliance is directly above the heater? My concern is, that while the pool heater is running, exhaust could be drawn into that exhaust while the appliance is off, and possibly into the house. Carbon monoxide has no smell, so how could you know? How long has this equipment been there?

Pool Clown said:
What kind of gas appliance is directly above the heater? My concern is, that while the pool heater is running, exhaust could be drawn into that exhaust while the appliance is off, and possibly into the house. Carbon monoxide has no smell, so how could you know? How long has this equipment been there?

That's a vent, so no worries. Great comment on the carbon monoxide though. Better safe than sorry :goodjob:

Pool Clown : Yes I had the very same worries, the gas fitter, Pool Installer, Electrical Contractor, Electrical Inspector all assured me that as a vent for the gas fireplace there was no way that exhaust from the heater could enter the house. I have noticed a slight "smell" from the gas heater itself but at 84 % efficiency this is to be expected. I get a similar smell from the exhaust of my 90 % Efficiency gas furnace. I have several carbon monoxide detectors throughout the house - including one that is about 10 ' from the gas fireplace. So far so good. I really appreciate your concern though, and any others that people may have about my installation.

Yes, the Gas Furnace is about 10 feet from where the meter is. But it wasn't planning (on my part anyway) - just luck. Saved a lot on gas lines .....

I just received my gas bill for the month of August. $59 ..... not bad. I only ran it a few evenings though (maybe 12 hours total) .
So far in September I have run the Gas Heater for about 10 hours.

I'll post what the September bill is when it comes in October. We are in Canada so temperatures will start to drop quickly.

Let me guess who the installer was: pool builders? ;)

I'd recommend a rocky roller (purewater can get them). Not cheap but they work really well and make removing covers easier. I'm surprised that your gas bill was sol low and you can heat the pool so quickly. In my 20k gallon pool, it's about 1 - 2 degree per hour with my 250k btu heater. Cost to operate the heater is ~$3 / hr according to my calculations. I ended up with algae in mine (discovered 4 days ago) and now the pool is back to normal but I'm not sure if I want to heat it up again, water dropped to <70.. I can still lose heat quickly if it gets cold a few nights, rainy and windy.

Unlike you, I ended up with a hefty bill for the gas line (1k) because the meter is on the other side of the house and the heater is in a shed so I needed a riser to bring the pipe from underground. The electrician also gave me a hefty bill.. Bob was the only reasonable guy when it came to the extras for the pool (retaining wall, extra excavation, ..) oh well, it's all installed.

How deep is your pool? I'm really surprised by the 4 degrees in an hour and figured that you may not have that much water in there.

offgrid,

We have a similar setup where our pool equipment is beside the house as well. We found the pump to be quite noisy, and transmitted this throughout the house. I did two things that dramatically reduced the resonance in the house, as well as quiet the pump noise down.

The first thing I did was buy some rubber isolation pads from a company in Mississauga. They are made out of recycled tires, and are about 4' square in size ( I think they were about $5 each). I put them under the pump and filter (four under each). This reduced the vibration transmitted from the equipment to the concrete pad by about 95%, and in turn just about eliminated the vibration resonance in the house. The second thing I did was buy a pump cover from a company in the States that is designed to reduce the pump noise by using using acoustic material in the cover itself;

http://www.premierinnov.com/featured_products.html

Overall we are happy now (so are the neighbors) as the noise from the equipment has now been reduced to an acceptable level.

Attachments

• P1030590.JPG
    P1030590.JPG
    240.6 KB · Views: 533
  • P1030591.JPG
    P1030591.JPG
    299.8 KB · Views: 535

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.