Calcium particles in water

lborne

Jun 29, 2009
Vero Beach, FL
I normally test myself, but went to the pool store to get some acid so had them test my water. All numbers were in range, including CH which was 220. However, there were calcium particles floating in water after the test. Store tried to sell me clarifier and something else I don't remember. They said although my CH was within levels, I had too much calcium in my pool (as he showed me the particles floating in the test kit) and it could cause problems. Just thought I'd check here before I bought anything.

Question is: how's the pool? Is it cloudy? No? Don't add clarifier then!

Precipitates inside a CH test tends to come from minerals inside your water (iron, copper, etc.). They may point out at another problem, but I assure you, you do not need clarifier unless your water become cloudy.

And even then, your filter media should catch those particles in due time, clarifier would only accelerate the process.

The trick to prevent those particles to form in the test in the first place is to put two drops of the last reagent (R-oo12) beforehand. You still need to count them for an accurate CH test. This kind of ''mistakes'', often caused by misleading informations in the industry, is why Mods here tend to recommend doing your own tests.

People here knows way more than most Pool Store Clerks, even if they only have 1 pool to take care of, each.

Thanks. The pool water is great and all levels are within range. I did not know about adding a couple of drops of R-012 beforehand.

Anyway, I may have an iron problem, but can't find anyone to test yet. One local pool store where I trust the guy knows what he is doing is getting a kit to test for iron, copper, etc., but it won't be here for a week or two. I had some repairs done where they ground down and encapsulated some rebar that was bleeding through and the iron dust got left in the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.