Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Spare pump for vacuum?

1. Back To Top    #1

Spare pump for vacuum?

As a result of great help on another thread, I will soon have an extra pump (1.5HP Haywood). I'm wondering if I can add some adapters and use that pump for vacuuming when I have to vac to waste? Thinking it would be more powerful and, in my case, handy rather than having run to the installed pump to turn on/off and losing water while I do.

Would seem all I would have to do is figure out how to attach the hose to the inlet and put a hose on for waste. Comments? Thanks in advance. Steve
    Cedar Island NC (Southern Outer Banks)
    Splash Super Pool (40x20)
    29,000 gal; AG; Sand Filter; 1.5HP pump. Use the cosmic Taylor Test Kit
    New Aquarite SWG w/T-15 cell; New Dolphin Supreme M4 Robot cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Spare pump for vacuum?

Don't know about how you would plumb it, but you don't want too much suction either.
    My vac head doesn't even have stout enough bristles to keep it from getting stuck to my pool floor at times.
    I have to rock the pole side to side to break it loose and once I had to run turn off the pump because I couldn't break it loose at all.
    25k gal vinyl AquaRite T-15

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by danbutter
    Don't know about how you would plumb it, but you don't want too much suction either. My vac head doesn't even have stout enough bristles to keep it from getting stuck to my pool floor at times. I have to rock the pole side to side to break it loose and once I had to run turn off the pump because I couldn't break it loose at all.
    Hmm...good point on the suction. No plumbing envisioned...just 2 hoses and break it down when finished and store in garage. Thanks for the food for thought.

4. Back To Top    #4

The plumbing ought to be easy - just get some hose-to-threaded fittings and maybe some reducers and go. The wiring is where I'd get leery. You'd need a pretty stout power cord to feed that pump, and do you have outlets that can handle it? Was it plug-in or hardwired originally?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Plug in. I think the avail outlet will be fine.

6. Back To Top    #6

The other point is water usage. A 1.5 straight to waste will suck a several inches out of a 20'x40' by the time you are done. My old pool was a 20'x40' and I vacuumed to waste with a 3/4 hp and it did a good job and my well could almost keep up. On my new pool, I have a 1.5hp and it used water way too fast (maybe almost a foot if I did the whole thing) and it was hard to keep the vac moving. So I now vac to Filter.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.