Adding calcium to a pool with vinyl liner?

triplets&quads

LifeTime Supporter
May 28, 2008
North Carolina
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
Is there ever a time when calcium needs to be added to a pool with a vinyl liner?

First off, this is not a question for my pool. I am having a discussion :rant: with my son-in-law who said the 'give me all your money for any non-neccessary chemical I can sell you' pool store :hammer: person told him he needed to add 4 pounds of calcium to his pool that he just had a new vinyl liner put in. This doesn't sound right to me, so I decided to post the question to the forum. Does the calcium need to be raised to a certain level if you have a vinyl liner?

A vinyl liner doesn't need calcium period. However, there are warranties that state that the CH must be a certain level or it voids your warranty. So to directly answer your question, yes there is a time when calcium needs to be added. To comply with the warranty stipulations.

If I had a piece of equipment that required it for the warranty I'd use the Pool Calc to add the lower recommended amount and not add what a PS person said I should.

Bama Rambler said:
A vinyl liner doesn't need calcium period. However, there are warranties that state that the CH must be a certain level or it voids your warranty. So to directly answer your question, yes there is a time when calcium needs to be added. To comply with the warranty stipulations.

If I had a piece of equipment that required it for the warranty I'd use the Pool Calc to add the lower recommended amount and not add what a PS person said I should.

Pool Stores often work with a set of ''ideal parameters'' when it comes to water treatment. Few makes the distinction between Vynil, Plaster and watnots. They often won't consider what type of chlorine is used either! Advantages are two-folds:

Standardization is simpler to teach to new staff - perfect for the spring rush. And ''it could not hurt''.
Few customers won't need a few products added to their pool so that they reach the ''recommended levels''.

So... follow Bama Rambler's suggestion on this and your son-in-law will both benefit from the warranty and avoid being Pool Stored.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.