Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding calcium to a pool with vinyl liner?

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding calcium to a pool with vinyl liner?

Is there ever a time when calcium needs to be added to a pool with a vinyl liner?

First off, this is not a question for my pool. I am having a discussion with my son-in-law who said the 'give me all your money for any non-neccessary chemical I can sell you' pool store person told him he needed to add 4 pounds of calcium to his pool that he just had a new vinyl liner put in. This doesn't sound right to me, so I decided to post the question to the forum. Does the calcium need to be raised to a certain level if you have a vinyl liner?
    I AM LOVING THE SALT WATER AND THE BBB METHOD! 15 yr old 15,300 gal ABG, with 5 yr old liner, 5 yr old AquaTrol SWG, S220T Hayward Sand Filter, 1 1/2 HP 2 speed Hayward Pump, TF100 Test Kit, 11 yr old grandson, 6 yr old grand-quads AND 4 year old triplet grandsons! ~ I AM HAVING FUN NOW!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding calcium to a pool with vinyl liner?

A vinyl liner doesn't need calcium period. However, there are warranties that state that the CH must be a certain level or it voids your warranty. So to directly answer your question, yes there is a time when calcium needs to be added. To comply with the warranty stipulations.

If I had a piece of equipment that required it for the warranty I'd use the Pool Calc to add the lower recommended amount and not add what a PS person said I should.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    A vinyl liner doesn't need calcium period. However, there are warranties that state that the CH must be a certain level or it voids your warranty. So to directly answer your question, yes there is a time when calcium needs to be added. To comply with the warranty stipulations.

If I had a piece of equipment that required it for the warranty I'd use the Pool Calc to add the lower recommended amount and not add what a PS person said I should.
    Pool Stores often work with a set of ''ideal parameters'' when it comes to water treatment. Few makes the distinction between Vynil, Plaster and watnots. They often won't consider what type of chlorine is used either! Advantages are two-folds:

Standardization is simpler to teach to new staff - perfect for the spring rush. And ''it could not hurt''.
    Few customers won't need a few products added to their pool so that they reach the ''recommended levels''.

So... follow Bama Rambler's suggestion on this and your son-in-law will both benefit from the warranty and avoid being Pool Stored.
    Pool: None, and All.
    ''What's really interesting is finding some way to explain some technical concepts with simple terms so that everyone might understand, to vulgarize.'' CaOCL2

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you for the responses! I will pass this info on to my son-in-law!
    I AM LOVING THE SALT WATER AND THE BBB METHOD! 15 yr old 15,300 gal ABG, with 5 yr old liner, 5 yr old AquaTrol SWG, S220T Hayward Sand Filter, 1 1/2 HP 2 speed Hayward Pump, TF100 Test Kit, 11 yr old grandson, 6 yr old grand-quads AND 4 year old triplet grandsons! ~ I AM HAVING FUN NOW!