Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algae - I guess

1. Back To Top    #1

Pearl, MS

Algae - I guess

I have had a couple of stained areas on my liner, on the side slope in the deep end. I've brushed vigorously, with little effect; it's been there for several weeks. I was about to decide it was metal staining or something bleeding through from the back side. Anyhow, I brought the FC up to shock level, and after a couple of days, the stain is completely gone! I guess it was algae after all and the combination of brushing and chlorine finally killed it off. Still learning.
    16x28 vinyl inground kidney, 1HP pump, sand filter, Compupool SWG, 11K gallons

2. Back To Top    #2
    Houston, Texas

Re: Algae - I guess

We have had a few people experience that kind of stain/algae before. Not sure if it is truly algae or just an organic stain from something else but elevated FC almost always takes care of it.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Algae - I guess

It was most likely organic staining. Holding your FC level higher for a while is what got rid of it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit