Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What will Pool stores be like in 20 years?

1. Back To Top    #1

What will Pool stores be like in 20 years?

What will they sell instead of chems? With more and more BBBers, low margin items like tabs in the stores won't support the rent and (cough cough) staff.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What will Pool stores be like in 20 years?

Well they could sell high strength Sodium Hypochlorite in 5 gallon drums. Maybe an SWG cleaning service. Test kit refills. Liquidators and other such dosing devices. There's plenty to keep them in business. They could even sell pool start up kits with a calculated amount of trichlor pucks and dichlor shock to bring the CYA up to strength quickly.
    Self built 5500 gallon bare concrete (temporarily) pool with limestone coping, Pentair Swimmey 1/2 HP pump, Triton sand filter with DE, Simpool peristaltic muriatic acid pump with pH sensor and Monarch SWG. Home made solar heater with Pentair Compool control panel and 3 way valve. 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 2 returns, 2" plumbing, Hayward auto fill valve.

3. Back To Top    #3

I predict the invention of magic pool fluid as a safer alternative to water!

Seriously, they could sell the same stuff with the fancy names for baking soda and borates because there will always be those who think that is the best and they have to have the best! A good strategy would be to sell a pool service that comes every other day to dose and maintain the pool. If they are smart they will go into the reverse osmosis business. They could make a bit off of that. Right now when they advise a drain and refill they only make money on more chems to balance the pool.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

If they got on it now, they could invent a hand-held pool calculator, like a blood-sugar meter, that would measure all necessary levels and make recommendations based on your pool info. Alternatively, they could invent a sensor placed permanently in the pool, that sends the info to my PC. All tailored to individual pool specs, bacterial load and the actual products that you prefer to use.

I'd buy that.
    12' round above ground pool. 3,500 gal. Vinyl liner. Waterway Supreme Hi-Flo 48 frame pump. 1.5 hp. SWG. Sand filter with Zeobrite.

Thanks, members of Trouble Free Pool, for being so friendly and informative!

5. Back To Top    #5

Call me cynical, but...

I predict that pool stores will be much the same in twenty years. They will be full of big buckets of magic powders and expensive bottles of snake oil and staffed by ignorant minimimum-wage salesmen.

The hot product then will be some device that has expensive cartridges full of mysterious ions. But they will have sensors (hugely inaccurate) that read the levels in the water and adjust the feed rate to keep things "perfect." What will happen is that pools all over the world will end up looking chrome-plated from so many metals. And then the stores will sell polish to keep your walls shiny.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    And then the stores will sell polish to keep your walls shiny.
    Ha! Brilliant and probably not far from the truth.
    Self built 5500 gallon bare concrete (temporarily) pool with limestone coping, Pentair Swimmey 1/2 HP pump, Triton sand filter with DE, Simpool peristaltic muriatic acid pump with pH sensor and Monarch SWG. Home made solar heater with Pentair Compool control panel and 3 way valve. 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 2 returns, 2" plumbing, Hayward auto fill valve.

7. Back To Top    #7

Maybe they'll invent a chemical that gets rid of CYA....
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-oasis-t26558.html

8. Back To Top    #8

They are nearly the same now as 20 years ago, I don't see why they should be much different in another 20 years, except I suspect they will have even more pool automation stuff to sell.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~