Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Evaporation or leak?

1. Back To Top    #1

Bloomington, IL

Evaporation or leak?

I have a question about water evaporation in a pool covered with an automatic cover. I have an opaque cover. The entire surface of the pool is covered. During a 24-hour period, does water evaporation occur? If so, how much should I expect? My water temp is in the low-80s. Air temp is low in the low-80s. Even on a sunny day with the pool completely covered, should I lose any water to evaporation? I’m losing about 1/16 of an inch now. Not much on a daily basis, but it adds up over time. I’m trying to determine if I have a slight leak or not.

Thanks for the help.
    27,000 gallons
    DE filter
    BBB Method
    Taylor K-2006C Test Kit
    Opaque automatic cover.
    Pool usually covered unless there are swimmers.

2. Back To Top    #2

South Central NJ

Re: Evaporation or leak?

Any splash out? Small drips at the equipment pad? Small pin holes at the skimmer mouth where it meeds the gunite? 1/16" is not much.

Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Evaporation or leak?

Take a clear container, put it on the top step and fill it with water to the level in the pool. If the level in the container drops at the same rate as the level in the pool, the water loss is due to evaporation. If the pool water level drops below the level in the container, the loss is due to another cause such as a leak, splash out, huge thirsty dog , etc.
    13,900 gallon exposed aggregate pool, DE filter, 1.5 hp pump, 2 waterfalls, Navigator pool cleaner. Pool is screened in.