closing

filix

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 30, 2010
maine
I need help. I'm very slow at learning. "health reasons" Anyway, I think I jumped the gun a little. I let out about 16" of water by useing my pool pump. I switched it to waste. Because I was thinking of having the local pool store come and have my lines blown out. I have a aircompressure and a shop-vac. But I'm nevous I might screw it up somehow. I have a gizzmo, dont know what its for :( . I'm going to change over my eco-dumb to BBB. "I hope" Im planning on being a supporter and need a good test kit. I also went to user control panel to put in exactly what I have for gear. I dont know what to click on. Sorry for being such a sad case. :hammer: filix.

Hi! I can't help with the closing issues but I can tell you how to access the signature function. Go to User Control Panel, then click Profile, in the small box under Profile click on edit signature. Type your information in the text box and hit submit.

Thankyou zea3. Ok I got it. Now I only need to figure out what I have. My filter says, Hayward s-200 high rate sand filter. When I bought this house "three months ago" the former owner told me it was a DE. So I was not about to take it apart to see. I don't know if you can convert a sand filter to a DE. my motor says 1 hp A.O. Smith corp. My pump says , Hayward Encl.3 What ever that means. My pool is 18k inground. It has a vinyl linner. It has 3 eyeball jets, returns? Also one skimmer with basket and one more jet that is the lowest one, about two feet down from the top of the pool. I brought my water down to abour 6" from that thing. Now I just have to put this info all down corectly. So it makes sence to other members so they can save me from myself. filix

I assume an inground pool.
For proper advices I'd strongly recommend more infos as:

How cold a winter you have where you live?
-This might affect how low you should drain your pool and/or whatever other accessories you might/might not need.

What is the gizmo's appearance. Can you post a pic?

Is your water level higher than the skimmer/water returns?
- Having it lower greatly facilitate blowing the lines.

Is there a, hum, not sure how it translates to english, High Groundwater level?
- This might cause damage to your pool if you empty part of it.

Disconnect Pump, Sand Filter, Heater beforehand. Your shopvac will work wonders to empty the sand filter, from that plug on its underbelly. after it is emptied, lean it SLIGHTLY on the side using a wood plank or something similar so that water naturally comes out of that hole... put your sand filter on ''Winterize''.

A trick is to keep all the small part in the pump's basket. losing them won't cost you much to replace, but I am sure you have better to do than chase for Gasket A or O-Ring B next spring... Don't forget to bring your pump inside for the cold season (depends on how cold it is).

As for the Heater, the ShopVac will empty it efficiently. You might want to hook it back to the system once the waterlines are blown... makes a nice home for rodents otherwise.

Have a few plugs at hand, Trick is to blow line per line, but as water is being blown out, where it did will be the path of least resistance. That's where the plug comes into play. By plugging these exits as they're emptyed of water, air will force water of another exit, and so on and so on until every single one of them is plugged.

filix said:
Sorry for being such a sad case.
No need to be. Hope it helps. Hope you warn fellow consumers about EcoSmarte's misleading marketing.

I can't stand theses guys!

Have a good 'un

Very cold here in souther maine. I was just told by a local pool place that I took too much out. They said put some back in, to about 4 inchs below the skimmer. Right now its about one foot below. The lady at the pool store told me my gizzmo screws into my skimmer to prevent ice damage. filix.

Of course they do. You are not following the flock...

When someone stray away from the norm, natural reaction is to judge and apply peer pressure. Ideas changes when those outside the norm have the will to remain that way and others realize his way do work... Not unlike evolution when you stop and think about it.

This is what I find particularly astonishing in this domain. I REALLY have the feeling of the religion/science fight at the time of Gallileo... People work on beliefs (Acid columns), half truths (Phosphates will help clear up a pool), claim some things cannot be explained (''unkillable algaes'' when using pucks), blame some reactions on outside forces (rain causes your pH to drop), etc.

Now you know the truth. Like under a threat of excommunication, don't fight the peer pressure and don't go lecturing your friends. Keep doing it right until they realize that your method works, and ask you how.

Happy Trouble-Free Pool!

well I did it. I bought a closing kit from the pool store. It had chloine shock,non chlorine shock, algeside, and somthing for metal stains. Also some stuff to raise total alkalinty. Mine was zero. I'm not sure if I need to remove that piece of pipe with the copper and titanium. Because I just won't plug the eco-smart thing in.

filix said:
well I did it. I bought a closing kit from the pool store. It had chloine shock,non chlorine shock, algeside, and somthing for metal stains. Also some stuff to raise total alkalinty. Mine was zero. I'm not sure if I need to remove that piece of pipe with the copper and titanium. Because I just won't plug the eco-smart thing in.

... well those are not BAD to have. just not necessary. Keep ahead of your chemistry. Alcalinity 0 often means a VERY acidic water. You don't want that. That ''stuff'' is most probably simple baking soda you paid a bit too much for. Don't worry, a lot of people do just like you do to be on the safe side... however I doubt if it don't work you'll get any more service than whatever pool store who sold it to you.

Keep reading, lurk a bit more on these forums and the pool school. BBB is not really about bleach / borax / bicarbonate. It is about learning what happens in your pool: what product ''could'' and ''WILL'' help, and only use the latter!

Even the stuff for metal stain (I'll risk myself by saying it should be a sequestrant) should have its uses: Eco-Smart's product is a metal ionizer... it will help prevent any damage your system might be causing. I would try and remove any part of the Ionizer, especially if you keep an alcalinity at 0... it will corrode very quickly, unless your calcium hardness' up the roof.

Hope it helped.

Thanks Darkside. I do need to lurk and read more. I will make this winter homework. I will remove the metal parts. I will do it next spring. I will have my kit then, and I can give you people the numbers. Then I will know were to go from there. I didn't use my solar pool cover. I want to try it out next year, and maybe look into a solar or propane heater. filix

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.