Deck Jecks Not Going High Enough

Sep 3, 2010
They are installing a pool, inground, with 6 Deck jets. The pool holds approximately 30,000 gallons, and has a 2 HP pump. The deck jets dont go very high at all. DOes anyone know how to fix it???

I have a 2HP pump which feeds 2 returns, a boulder waterfall and 2 deck jets. I find that if I direct all the water to just the deck jets, it shoots high enough to launch the water stream out of the pool and over the fence (looks like Old Faithful!!). But when I want the waterfall and deck jets running together, I have to nearly completely shut off the 2 returns in order to get enough water output directed to those features.

My guess is that with 6 deck jets, the demand is going to be very high and so if your 2HP pump is trying to feed any other returns or water features, you may not have enough power.

Tim may claim to be a newbie but his advice sounds good. Dave is also on to something about some of the water being returned to the pool unseen. How about some pictures, both of the fountains and of the pool equipment. Also time how long it takes a jet to fill a 5 gal bucket.

I have a sheer descent, one deck jet and mermaid statute water feature and an IG bubbler. I have to turn off completely my returns in order to run all the water features, however I cannot open the deck jet and mermaid feature fully as is sprays too far. Hope this helps :cheers: :cheers:

WOw! Thanks for all these responses. I will get some pictures up shortly for yall. It does not run off a separate pump. To turn on the deck jets, (forgive me I am new to this pool stuff, so I will explain it the best I can), you have to turn this knob that slows down the jets in the pool. The 6 deck jets are run with a 3/4 inch PVC, so I am wondering if we need bigger PVC? The pool guy said he will put in a 1 1/2 inch PVC that will run to all 6 deck jets, and that should fix it. Let me post pictures of all that too. Wow, you guys are all so helpful. One second....

Ok, I figured it ok. FOR PICTURES OF THE PLUMBING AND DECK JETS, see below I have a 30 inch filter, 2 HP Pentair and a separate booster pump that just runs the POlaris. The pool is a Roman "L", 43 inches long, 26 inches on the shallow wall, and 18 inches wide on the deep end, 10-foot roman steps. They said probably about 28,000 gallons. The pool is plumbed with 1 1/2 inch PVC (it appears). The pool contractor has not completed the work because we are unhappy with the deck jets. Should we ask for a separate pump for the deck jets? The pool guy says that if he changes the horizontal PVC that runs along the top of the outputs to the deck jets from 3/4 inch to 1 1/2 inch, we will get the pressure we need.

Someone please help!!! I feel as if I am being tricked. The pool contractor is waiting on his last draw, and I dont intend to give it to him until the work is done RIGHT. Thanks!!!

dsc1619n.jpg

By apriljo at 2010-09-12

dsc1618.jpg

By apriljo at 2010-09-12

dsc1615k.jpg

By apriljo at 2010-09-12

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Why would anyone choose to use a 3/4 in line feeding 6 x 3/4 inch lines. Also, with a 2 hp pump, it would have been nice if he used 2" pipes. You can see he used reducers to and from the pump and the filter.

What happens when you close the valve going back to the pool returns a bit? That is the one after the T going to the jets? that should send increase the pressure to the jets.

I think the deck jet manifold needs a 1 1/2 inch pipe. It's the only way you'd get enough water through there if you choose to close the return valve and have all the water directed to the jets.

Hi Crabboy!

Yes, thats what he is talking about doing. (Replacing the line that feeds the deckjets with a 1 1/2 inch PVC). When he built the pool, he first put a 1.5HP pump, so I guess he plumbed it with 1 1/2 inch PVC based on that?

If we turn off the returns completely (and send all water to the jets), it still looks like the pictures (not enough).

I guess the "manifold" you are referring to is that horizontal pipe feeding all 6 deck jets? (Bear with me, I am new to all this :) )

Does the filter pressure change if you switch from the returns to the deck jets?

The filter looks like it takes 2" fittings, you PB had to reduce these to 1 1/2" pipes, hence the reducers. They are necessary to use the smaller pipe as they did. I think the pump fittings can take either 1 1/2 or 2.

I would have him replace the pipe that runs across the top ( manifold ) and that should increase the flow quite a bit. I don't know how he though that would work in the first place. Also, now that he set himself up for attacks on his plumping work, why did he feel the need to space the deck jet return lines so far apart. I think a few inches would be better than this. That long stretch is more likely to get kicked, bumped, hit with the mower, etc...

I just can't wait for this job to be over with. This issue, combinedwith the bleach spot I think his chemicals left in the bottom of my pool, is enough to drive anyone crazy!!! I posted a question about the bleach spot on this website and got great responses. I will definitely support this website!

So only pipe for him to replace is manifold above deck jets? Got it !

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.