Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Child safety fencing

1. Back To Top    #1

Child safety fencing

Hi,

does anyone have any experience with these child safety mesh fences? I would love to know how they stand up to winter?

http://www.protectachild.com/

Thanks
    Cement 12'x30', in the neighborhood of 50 years old. Restored, 1.5"plumbing, 1hp super pump 2, Hayward swim clear cartridge filter, Summit2.5t heater,Hayward SWG t-9 cell, Nexxus Blanco lights, pentair bermuda gunite skimmer.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Child safety fencing

I see them all the time. They are very nice in my opinion. I'll give a quick list of benefits

they are up to code for height, self closing, and self-latching fencing and gates.
    lockable gate
    removable (which is nice for when your kids get older)
    you can see through them
    very durable material, although some take down the fences when the safety cover is on.

The only thing that I don't like about them is they can sometimes trap leaves on the inside of the fence which then eventually end up in the pool. Although this depends how your yard is setup.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for your reply.

Do you have any idea how they fair with snow?
    Cement 12'x30', in the neighborhood of 50 years old. Restored, 1.5"plumbing, 1hp super pump 2, Hayward swim clear cartridge filter, Summit2.5t heater,Hayward SWG t-9 cell, Nexxus Blanco lights, pentair bermuda gunite skimmer.

4. Back To Top    #4

We have a protect a child fence and love it. We have 3 small kids and it's been worth its weight in gold. We had a lot of snow this past winter and it still looks brand new. I did get the gate and am so happy I did. It was worth it. The pool was here when we bought this house and we were so worried about it that we considered just filling it in. So glad we got the fence instead! It was expensive though - over $4,000 for a 20 x 40 pool.

1) 28,000 Gallons (20 x 40)
    2) Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter
    3) inground, vinyl liner
    4) Hayward 1.5 HP pump

5. Back To Top    #5

I am going to buy 100' of wood slat snow fence for about $50. It keeps deer out so it should keep the kids out.
    I'll post photos on my blog. For safety I'm thinking the Loop-Loc pool cover - for around $2,500.
    20,000 gallon, Sand Filter, In-ground, vinyl, 1 HP Hayward Super II Pump, Natural Gas Heater, Aquarite Salt Chlorine Generator
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.MY-POOL.blogspot.com

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by miller2917
    We have a protect a child fence and love it. We have 3 small kids and it's been worth its weight in gold. We had a lot of snow this past winter and it still looks brand new. I did get the gate and am so happy I did. It was worth it. The pool was here when we bought this house and we were so worried about it that we considered just filling it in. So glad we got the fence instead! It was expensive though - over $4,000 for a 20 x 40 pool.

thanks, its how it holds up to snow that was most concerning to me.

bruce

7. Back To Top    #7

I had Life Saver Fence & Leisure from Windsor Ontario install approximately 30 feet of Protect-a-child fencing last month. The cost for the fence was was approx $27/foot and the gate was $200ish for the self closing and locking gate. This price included installation.

[attachment=0:2hiqsvmd]Pool Fence.jpg[/attachment:2hiqsvmd]

We're very happy with the product. Works well, looks good and the installation was quick and clean. The owner of Life Saver Fence and Leisure, Case Ridpath did the install himself and was great to work with.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    40,000L (10,500G) 17 x 30 Pioneer "Trinity" Vinyl IG
    Hayward OmniLogic, Hayward TCELL925-CUL SWG, Hayward SP23520VSP MaxFlo Pump, Club Pro SM2506T Sand Filter, Hayward H-Series Heater, Zodiac G3 Cleaner.

8. Back To Top    #8

We installed this brand of fence when we bought our house 6 years ago, after I did ALOT of research about pool safety fencing online. It was the best money we spent (well, now we have a heat pump, so maybe it's a toss up.) Great quality, knowledgeable caring owner/operator in our area with flawless installation. They even came back for FREE in the THIRD YEAR because my daughter was tall enough to reach the knob on the gate to raise it up higher.
    We took it down every year when we put on the safety winter cover, and if you label the sections, it takes only about half an hour to put back up. It still looks brand new.
    Now the kids are grown up enough that we don't need it, but when our friends came to visit for a week with their 3 year old it was easy as pie to put up and take down.
    It will be part of the resale value of the home when we eventually move on...
    please PM me if I can be of further help. I think it's really important to understand the how's and why's of pool fencing, and what it will and won't provide in terms of pool safety.
    TF-100 Test Kit, 28,000 gallon IG , 3M quartz plaster '09, 48 sq ft DE filter, Heat Siphon SX5HP heat pump '09, Polaris 360 '10, Protect-A-Child safety fence

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by brownsburg
    Thanks for your reply.

They are unaffected by snow, they have a thin profile so much snow won't collect on top of them. Also they have caps that go into the holes in the ground if the fencing is removed to keep the holes free of debris.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by brownsburg
    Thanks for your reply.

I was told by the installed that snow doesn't matter. I use a regular tarp on my pool during winter so I need to leave the fence there. No issues so far but it's only been a year.. I tend to shovel a bit in front of it if the snow load pushes too much on it though.

HIGHLY recommended for those with kids. I don't have the self closing gate on mine, I just lift a post to open a section.
    19.5k gallons in ground, P4 panel with turbocell SWG, 1hp Hayward superpump II, sand filter, Heater low nox 250k btu heater, solar cover on rocky roller