marcovegas ESC-36 problem

Aug 29, 2010
Las Vegas NV
All of a sudden my ECO-Matic ESC-36 is not making any chlorine.
Chemistry is pretty good: pH 7.4, TA 80, CH high which has always been the case here in Las Vegas, CYA 70, Phosphate 50, Salt 3,400 and both operation LEDs are still green
I called Eco-Matic and they told me the salt level was too low and raise it to 5,000 ppm. I did it and it’s still not generating any chlorine.
The cell is 1 ½ y.o and has always been very clean. I’ve been checking it regularly and just hosed it every time. One of the connectors is extremely hot and was slightly loose, so I tightened it.
Does anyone know what should be the next step? I don’t know how to test the two black connectors’ voltage and what reading it should be? I have a multimeter and I know it’s DC current but have no clue where and how to measure. Is there a way to check the motherboard? I’ve been told that it could be shot?

I have a Eco-Matic 36 bought at the beginning of the year. I thought it was not making enough chlorine. I called Eco Matic and they gave me the correct voltage and amperage readings. I do not remember what they was. You could call and ask. When I raised my salt level like you did, It fixed my problem. What reading are you getting on your control box.

the loose connector would do it

you won't be able to measure current with multimeter, as your unit probably runs at 25 amps - you need a fluke.

you can measure DC voltage though and compare it to the specs but that won't tell you much apart from the fact that your control box is working.

I checked my ESC-36 this am. It has 24 DC volts between the 2 black wires. Each wire is drawing appx 9 amps. I hope this helps.
I would make sure my salt level was correct. Like I said in the earlier post my Eco-Matic would not work right until I got the salt up to 4500. My pool builder left it at 3500. Salt level at 3500, I was having to run mine at 100% for 12 hrs and avg 1 to 1.5 TC. After raising salt to 4500, I can run mine for 10 hrs at 50% and have 3.5 TC.

While you're trying to figure this out, you should be adding liquid chlorine to the pool to maintain an FC of 5ppm and while you're at it, perform an overnight FC loss test to confirm it is not something organic in your water that is keeping the chlorine low vs your SWG not working :goodjob:

I waited a few days before telling about the result I got from raising my salt level from 3400 to 5000. It took about 3 days to show that my ESC was back to making chlorine to normal level

I followed Aaron advice confirmed by the Ecomatic people to raise the salt level to 4500-5000. What I still don't understand is that the cell had been working perfectly for 2 years at 3400ppm???

it's probably signs of cell dying...

you can prolong life of cells by dumping more salt in

with regards to ecomatic, unless it's some sort of special model for USA market - it should be 4000-5000ppm

3000 is the minimum, but running it at the minimum will stress it unnecessarily

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.