SWG Cell Life

Probably none. Life of a cell is really measured in amp-hours. Amp-hours for a given cell cooresponds to a certain amount of chlorine produced. So for any given pool, you will usually have a fixed chlorine demand, which remains the same whether the chlorine is added all at once, or over a complete day. Therefore the amp-hours used will remain the same.

This is our answer in our pool store, there might be a better one comming up.

The speed of the pump is of little impact on cell life, as long as your cell don't produce while the pump is off, that is. What's important is how much chlorine you demand it to produce and if your cell is undersized for your pool.

- Avoid starting your pool in the spring using your SWCG (if applicable).
- Use CYA (there is a chart stickied in the Pool School on what amount you should target).
- Keep an eye on your water chemistry. SWCG tend to make your pH rise a lot.
- Avoid having ''too much'' salt in your pool. Go with the manufacturer's recommendation.
- Check your cell once a while for deposits. (once or twice a year should do the trick)

This is often written on this site:

- You might have an easier time with the addition of Borates. You WILL NOT need less acid BUT you will need to add it less often.
- Avoid ''Shocking'' using your SWCG.

Strannik said:
cell should be alright, but you might find that controller won't last as long as it normally would

Curious as to why this would be.

I ran my variable speed pump for the last 9 months at about 2100rpm. Before that I had a one speed 1hp pump.

I just replaced the cell literally today after just under three years of use - 34 months at 600 bucks this give me a pretty decent 17.64 cent per month cost. Next time Ill put in a "generic cell" and clean it more frequently.

I have a 20K pool and use a 40K salt cell turned down to about 40% with about 8-85 degree water temps.
So I'm using the double sized/half output technique.

Uncle Dave

because electronic components also have their lifespan
if your controller runs 24/7 - that lifespan is shortened

the technique you are talking about assumes that you will be running same number of hours as with smaller cell, just at lower output

Strannik said:
because electronic components also have their lifespan
if your controller runs 24/7 - that lifespan is shortened

the technique you are talking about assumes that you will be running same number of hours as with smaller cell, just at lower output

ahh.. I see where you are coming from and agreed.
- yes in that all electronics have a lifespan yes you may them bump up against the controllers if running 24/7.

I was thinking there may be some other link you were making.

Of note: at least in my personal experiences, many electronics fail on "power up" rather than die during a running cycle.
Some machine rooms in my industry simply never power down, others do.
Depends on the CE's preferences.

thanks,

Uncle Dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.