Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water drains into pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Water drains into pool

With the concrete apron poured a couple of days ago, my 18 x 36 IGP is virtually finished. Then, yesterday evening as I was hosing dirt and grit off the apron, I discovered that water runs into the pool along about 15-18 feet along one side. The drainage tilt is slightly TOWARD the pool.

I still owe the pool company about $4k, due at completion. I'm looking for advice. Any ideas about what can be done about the drainage? The only thing I can come up with is to jackhammer it out and re-pour. Is it possible to sand it down enough? A quarter-inch or so is probably all it would need to drain properly, but I would be very concerned about it matching the finish of the rest. Any thoughts?

2. Back To Top    #2

South Central NJ

Re: Water drains into pool

Make them repour it. That was ineptitude. Any builder will agree. Dirt will wash in every time it rains. It will mess with your water level and chemistry too. The sooner, the better or the color of the deck will be noticeable off for years.

Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Altoona, AL

I agree with PoolGuyNJ. I would withhold the final payment until they resolve the issue to your satisfaction. Make them fix it immediately.
    Good luck.
    AG 18' X 52" Round Pacifica Pool w/ Metal Diamond Unibead Liner. Installed in March 2007.
    2.5 HP Baquapure 2 Speed Pump, 200 GPM Waterway ProClean Cartridge Filter System.

Former Baquacil user
    Converted to BBB in Fall of 2009 - Now I have a truly trouble free pool!

4. Back To Top    #4
    New Jersey shore

I'll also chime in and agree. It needs to be fixed..asap..
    [center:3gj9kdnn]Matt Heck
    Serving Ocean co. NJ
    COMPANY INFO BELOW ... 2995187987[/center:3gj9kdnn]

5. Back To Top    #5

Agree. There is no excuse for that. Time to repour.
    18' x 36' saltwater inground vinyl pool

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the input. The pool company has been in business here for over 35 years. I think they'll take care of it. This is a small town and I don't think the owner would want his reputation tarnished over something at such nominal cost. The concrete finisher was a sub-contractor of the pool company, so I seriously doubt if he's been paid yet--and won't be until the job is done right. Otherwise, the pool is great and the pool company has done everything they said they would do.

7. Back To Top    #7

There was no issue with the pool company in re-doing the concrete. They cut out the bad section on Wednesday and re-poured on Thursday, adding an edge drain where the deck meets the house. This should take care of the problem. My only regret now is that it's mid-September and the water temp is already a chilly 75 degrees.