pump size for replacement

Jan 27, 2010
Central Valley, CA
I currently have a single speed Hayward 1.5 HP Power Flo Matrix with X-Stream filter. With CA utility rates and reading this site, I know I need to go to a 2 speed. I need to adjust sig, pool seems to be approx. 7500 gallons based on pool calculator and effects from chemicals added.

I was looking for a 1.5 hp 2 speed but Hayward makes a 1 HP 2 speed in the same series. Is this sufficient for this pool for filtering and vacuuming? I presume it is but want feedback before plunking down $280.

The Whisperflo WFDS-3 is a full rated 3/4 HP two speed and the WFDS-24 is 1 HP uprated two speed which is basically the same as the WFDS-3. Both are pretty powerful and efficient plus have the added benefit of low speed.

Thanks to all. Does it matter if the pump matches the filter? Not married to Hayward if it doesn't matter. The Power-Flo Matrix does easily convert to side discharge for easy hookup to the filter.

Also, at .40 marginal cost for electricity, is common wisdom that is well worth switching out a fully functioning pump? I like the peace of mind that I'm using less electricity especially if I have to shock and run the pump continuously.

I bought my whole setup as a display model closeout so there were no options on changing the pump at time of purchase.

No the pump doesn't have to match the filter it just needs to be sized properly for the filter.

Another option if your pump is still in good condition, would be to just replace the motor with a two speed plus a new seal kit. This can be close to half the cost of a new pump. Of course, you have to comfortable doing the work yourself or finding someone who won't charge an arm and a leg.

I'm reasonably handy but don't mess with electrical much. I can change install a ceiling fan or change a receptacle. Much more than that I haven't done. I did look online for motors but the prices I found were almost the same as the pump on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SP15922S- ... X3AQC03FAK

The filter is 150 sq ft, model CC1500, 120 gpm. How do I find out if that's fine for 3/4 hp or 1 hp two speed?

Thanks for all the help.

edit: maybe I'm looking in the wrong places for just a motor.

If you can wire a fan, you can wire a pump. Just have a multimeter handy so you will know whether you have 120 or 240 going to the pump.

If you have an above ground pool, the Pentair OptiFlo pumps are 120 and can come equipped with either the twist lock or standard plug. Check the pricing for them as well since pumps for above ground pump tend to be lower cost. Don't use an above ground pump on an in ground pool. The designs are different in some very important areas.

Scott

Sportsman said:
I'm reasonably handy but don't mess with electrical much. I can change install a ceiling fan or change a receptacle. Much more than that I haven't done. I did look online for motors but the prices I found were almost the same as the pump on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SP15922S- ... X3AQC03FAK

The filter is 150 sq ft, model CC1500, 120 gpm. How do I find out if that's fine for 3/4 hp or 1 hp two speed?

Thanks for all the help.

edit: maybe I'm looking in the wrong places for just a motor.

That pump should be fine for the filter and your right, it would be hard to find just a motor at much below that cost. I was thinking in-ground when I wrote that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.