Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Would you use this bleach?

1. Back To Top    #1

Would you use this bleach?

The cheapest bleach I've found in my area is $1.27 for a 96oz bottle of 6% at Wally World. I have actually found my local grocery store (Giant) carries a 96oz jug of their generic brand bleach for only $0.97 each. Only problem with it though is that it is not labeled with any percentage of sodium hypochlorite. So I have no idea if what I'd be getting is 6% or what.

Assuming it IS 6%, it's a great deal, and I'm almost willing to try some out and see if it is as effective as the Wally World generic brand I've been purchasing. I figure that since I know how effective 6% bleach is in my pool, if I add one of these unmarked bottles and it returns the same expected levels, then I can assume it really is 6%.

But my concern is whether or not it could contain other impurities that perhaps I should be avoiding. Does anyone know if a generic brand like this could contain anything else other than chlorine (albeit perhaps a lower concentration) and water??

Is it worth the experimentation, or should I just stay away from it? What would the experts here do???

Thanks,
    Tim
    20'6" X 38'6" (609 sqft)
    22,500 gal gunite/plaster IGP
    DE filter, Jandy 2HP pump, Nature2 Sanitizer (removed cartridge!)
    Raypak 39.9K BTU gas heater
    2 ColorLogic lights, Maytronics Dolphin pool cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Would you use this bleach?

It could be a really good deal, but I highly doubt it.

My wife picked up a jug of bleach for the laundry at Smart & Final. It's supposedly a wholesale place, right? Should be good deals on cleaning supplies, right? It says plain as day active ingredient 2.75% sodium hypochlorite. Wow, real powerful stuff, huh?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Since you're aware of the possibility that it's less than 6% and you're ready to experiment a little, it wouldn't hurt anything to try it. Unless it has scents or thickeners in it it only contains chlorine, salt and water.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

For me if I do not see it listed, I do not get it. I would rather spend a few dollars more and know what I am getting vs having to worry if it works or not.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

Almost makes you wonder in this day and age how a company can get away with NOT labeling a caustic chemical. Thank God it's not a hamburger, huh?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

I had bought some Better Valu bleach at a local grocery store - 1 gallon cost $1. Just like you found with your bleach, there's no % for the sodium hypochlorite on the label. This thread got my curiosity twitching, so I just sent an inquiry to their customer service asking what the % is . . stay tuned and I will post back on what they say.

Jan
    Summer: 19 x 37 Pacific Graphex IG modified oval, aztec marine vinyl liner, 24,000 gal, 3.5 feet to 8 feet, 1 hp Hayward C4025 Swim Clear 4-cartridge filter, 12.5% Liquid Pool Shock for sanitizing, 1 super wide mouth skimmer, 4 returns (2 therapy jets in steps), Hayward Heat Pro heat pump, non-curved pool slide, 6' jump board, 8 ml blue solar cover, TF-100 test kit, had pink algae in 2010 Winter: Hot Springs Vista Spa, 500 gallons.

7. Back To Top    #7

The verdict is in: Better Valu bleach is 2.75% per the manufacturer.
    Summer: 19 x 37 Pacific Graphex IG modified oval, aztec marine vinyl liner, 24,000 gal, 3.5 feet to 8 feet, 1 hp Hayward C4025 Swim Clear 4-cartridge filter, 12.5% Liquid Pool Shock for sanitizing, 1 super wide mouth skimmer, 4 returns (2 therapy jets in steps), Hayward Heat Pro heat pump, non-curved pool slide, 6' jump board, 8 ml blue solar cover, TF-100 test kit, had pink algae in 2010 Winter: Hot Springs Vista Spa, 500 gallons.

8. Back To Top    #8

Wow, what a rip-off. You get less than half the percentage for 3/4 the price. Some value there.
    Mike
    2007 1st full year with AG pool~15k gallons 18'x33' JW
    6/2010 added 2 button Intex SWG-painless except for when reset
    Switched to BBB from Baquacil (couldn't pay me to go back)

9. Back To Top    #9

I've always been leery of bleach which does not have the concentration listed on the label. I think the first I saw was a house brand at a Kroger in Katy, TX some years ago. I didn't buy it and got Clorox instead. Still won't get unlabeled, or rather, undisclosed, bleach. Even if I had to clean up a blood spill, which... you know... COULD happen to anyone... I mean, come on..., I'd want to know how much I'd need to use. Recommended for blood-borne pathogens is around 1:100, or about 1/4 cup per gallon of water. That is SUPPOSED to make around a 500ppm solution, but not with cruddy bleaches like the 2.75% stuff.

What? Like you never have to clean up a few litres of blood from the basement floor every week? Ummm....wait... OK folks, move along. Nothing to see here...
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]