Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Muriatic Acid Accident

1. Back To Top    #1

Muriatic Acid Accident

I mixed my MA in a one gallon bucket of water, and as I was lifting it to pour into the deep end, the handle of the bucket broke, spilling the contents all over my concrete patio (luckily, none on myself). I immediately flushed the concrete with water, but ended up with a HUGE stained area. I am wondering if the water actually diluted it or if its possible that the acid may still be causing damage to the concrete?
    18,000 gal, 18x32 IGP, vinyl liner, 3 to 5.5ft depth. One inlet/skimmer (Aqua Genie), one main drain. Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter w/filtration rate of 20 GPM/FT, Two-Speed Pentair Whisperflo 1 HP pump, Natural Gas Hayward H200 pool heater, Aquabot T2 (200 Series) Robotic Pool Cleaner (my best friend), Automatic Electric Pool Cover (2nd best friend).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Muriatic Acid Accident

Other then the stain, you should be ok. What color did it make your concrete?

3. Back To Top    #3

A very ugly browish color
    18,000 gal, 18x32 IGP, vinyl liner, 3 to 5.5ft depth. One inlet/skimmer (Aqua Genie), one main drain. Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter w/filtration rate of 20 GPM/FT, Two-Speed Pentair Whisperflo 1 HP pump, Natural Gas Hayward H200 pool heater, Aquabot T2 (200 Series) Robotic Pool Cleaner (my best friend), Automatic Electric Pool Cover (2nd best friend).

4. Back To Top    #4

I am always afraid that that will happen to me. How much acid was in that bucket?
    IG pebbletec pool: size of pool: 27,000 gal; filter: cartridge - Hayward Superstar Clear; pump size: 1.5 HP; TF 100 Test kit - got it on 7-29-10; The Pool Cleaner-4-wheel suction model; Pool calculator: http://www.poolcalculator.com/; bleach calc: http://troublefreepool.com/files/BleachCalc262.exe

5. Back To Top    #5

That sucks, how big?

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

To some, this will sound like, "See, my way is best". It's not supposed to. It's supposed to be an alternative way to add acid.

I simply take the undiluted jug with the cap off and lower it partially into the water. with about 1/3 of the jug above water, the jug is almost weightless and can be controlled very easily as you allow the acid to pour from the jug directly into the pool.

My dosing is not particularly precise and this method may not work well when you need, say, maybe as little as 1/2 a quart.

However from that volume on up I believe it is about the safest way to deliver acid to the pool.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Glad your ok it could have been much worse.... can you place a planter over the stain with some cool looking flowers?
    [center:3gj9kdnn]Matt Heck
    "HECK OF A POOL SERVICE LLC"
    Serving Ocean co. NJ
    COMPANY INFO BELOW
    http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=en ... 2995187987[/center:3gj9kdnn]

8. Back To Top    #8

Just as Duraleigh's method outlined. Then put the cap back on, and douse the whole container in the pool to wash off the sides.

p.s. Excellent disclaimer too.

9. Back To Top    #9

I wonder if you took strait bleach & poured on the stained area& brush it if the stain will go away????
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

When I add I do dilute but I use small, newer buckets about 3 gallon, size with proven plastic handles. I just now picked up a small old bucket, used inside, by the edge and it broke. I am cleaning snake enclosure while he is eating and the bucket had three sham wows with only one heavy with water from water dish. That's exactly the reason I use newer small buckets, that are easy to handle, for the pool stuff and store the buckets out of the sun.

I too have poured directly by "floating" the bucket. I just like to dilute because the MA is so heavy, sinks like lead, and my plaster is old.

Sorry about your accident. I hope you find a solution for the stain. The acid really wouldn't have hurt you unless you got it in your eyes. I've acid washed my pool six times, over the years, so I've had a lot of experience splashing it on my delicate skin. A quick water rinse is all that's needed for skin.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

11. Back To Top    #11

Sorry that happened.

I am also a "direct from the jug" guy. I think that the less you handle it, the better off you are going to be.

12. Back To Top    #12

Sorry to hear about your incident. Perhaps if you now acid wash the entire patio the stain would be less noticable? Not an expert in this area, but I would think that would bring all of your concrete to nearly the same color. I believe besides being used in Pool...MA is a great concrete etcher/cleaner.

Hopefully someone with more masonary experience can chime in?
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

13. Back To Top    #13

The stain is way too big to cover - I have attached pic of the stain to give you an idea of what I ended up with. I had 29oz of acid in the bucket of water. I could see it bubble immediately upon contact with the concrete. I don't see how you can accurately measure by submerging the MA bottle into the pool water?
    Attached Images Attached Images

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

I don't see how you can accurately measure by submerging the MA bottle into the pool water?
    My dosing is not particularly precise and this method may not work well when you need, say, maybe as little as 1/2 a quart.
    However, I can get pretty close to a quart just by doing it in two increments....first, a little less than a quart then more if needed. The calculation looks precise but the dosage doesn't have to be perfect.

I'm sorry about that stain and wish I could think of a way for you to minimize it.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

15. Back To Top    #15

the sun will bleach that out in a year or 2
    thanks
    gary

24ft x 54" aquasphere mission agp, cartridge filter, 1.5 hp hayward, TF-100, BBB method, pool install July 2010

16. Back To Top    #16

NEED HELP - Muriatic Acid Accident

Hello - this site is the only one I found that has so much info on Muriatic Acid and I am hoping you can help me!
    We had a bottle of acid stored on a painted wooden shelf (in the back) that is above the washing machine (along with other cleaners - RainX, CLR, etc.) in small laundry room - we pretty much forgot it was there ... do not have a pool anymore ... but we had used it for that. Not sure if it had been opened or not.

We just arrived home after being gone 6 days and as we had some damp clothes, getting them in the washer was priority. Something had spilled onto the middle of the washer lid, and a good amount had dripped into the tub. It is thick and yellowish, for the most part dry, with a sticky/oily feeling and somewhat of a sweet smell. We could see drip residue on the shelf edge, but no damage to the wood.

Thinking it had to be a cleaner from the shelf, I added a touch of laundry soap and started a quick wash cycle. Then I started to clean the lid with a wet rag and Fantastic, while my husband started taking stuff off the shelf. We could see something on the shelf, but no clue what is was. We could not find a active leak in any of the bottles, but the acid bottle which was the last one to come down, had bumps all over the outside of it, like it had chicken pox. (I kinda smelled the acid then) so I opened the washer and the suds were just a bit too BUBBLY if ya know what I mean. Ran it through a few hot water rinse cycles. Then turned on the exhaust fan, threw a towel over the washer lid and washed my hands for like 10 minutes!!

All I could quickly find on the net that was more than just the chemical stuff references - was this site. I poured baking soda all over the washer lid and into the tub, which still shows a bit of yellow, and began this letter................

Now I know I probably sound frantic, we just don't know what to do next?????

Thanks in advance,

A very tired traveler - Michelle
    The bottle is now wrapped in 3 garbage bags and sitting outside.
    13K Gal, In-Ground, Fiberglass, Cartridge filter (Jandy CL340 127 flowrate), 1 HP Pump (Jandy PlusHP)

17. Back To Top    #17

Just neutralize things with baking soda. Get it wet, pour on soda. Keep it wet and keep adding soda until it stops foaming. If there's sticky residue, put on some rubber dishwashing gloves and go to it with a plastic-bristled brush. Wear goggles, just to be safe. And old clothes.

The acid is good for cleaning concrete. It will also clean calcium film off the shower tile. Dilute it good for that job. Otherwise, mix it in a plastic bucket or empty trash can and slowly add baking soda until it stops foaming. It can foam pretty violently, almost erupt, so be careful.

Or see if your city or county has a hazardous materials collection.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

18. Back To Top    #18

Richard,

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

I will not keep it - I am lucky as it is that neither of us started messing with it before contacting this site.

Happy Labor Day!!!

Michelle
    13K Gal, In-Ground, Fiberglass, Cartridge filter (Jandy CL340 127 flowrate), 1 HP Pump (Jandy PlusHP)