CYA - Myth or could it be?

BYAO

Sep 1, 2010
New to this board but not to pool ownership. Was pool stored in the beginning but have since seen the light.

I used to use trichlor and back in the day, ran into the infamous high CYA issues so often discussed here. I've always been told that the only way to "economically" reduce CYA levels is to drain and replace a portion of the water.

Well, the other day I was in a pool store and overheard an employee discussing high CYA with a customer.
Customer says: "guess I need to drain and replace"

Employee says: "not until daytime highs drop below 80 degrees or you risk plaster damage"

BUT THEN employee adds: "you could try siphoning or pumping off the top since most of the CYA is in the top few inches of the water when the pump isn't circulating"

I've heard this sort of thing from other pool stores and pool maintenance guys over the years and I wonder, could it actually be true or just another urban pool legend?

I tried measuring CYA in samples in my pool from different depths and could not discern any meaningful differences so I think the answer is myth, but to the chemistry gurus, is there any scientific justification to what theses "pool pros" assert?

Thanks.

BYAO said:
I've always been told that the only way to "economically" reduce CYA levels is to drain and replace a portion of the water.

Just an FYI, a alternative to drain and refill is Mobile Reverse Osmosis (Puripool Process) if it is available in your area.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.