Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: repairing rust at skimmer opening on metal pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Mentor, Ohio

repairing rust at skimmer opening on metal pool?

Ok. Got the treatment ready for the iron staining while trying to fix the rust at the skimmer opening (from the metal skeleton of the pool).
    Never knew there were butterfly gaskets to prevent this kind of an issue - pool store never sold it to me before
    Pool store didn't understand why they sold me a "metal" pool skeleton instead of an aluminum skeleton since it never would have rusted then

Once I get as much of the rust off the metal as humanly possible, what would be the best primer or coating to cover the metal with to minimize the rust re-occuring? or is this just delaying the inevitable continuation of more rusting regardless?

Pool store says it needs to be "repaired with a service call to replace/repair that portion of the metal wall/skeleton".

Thanks in advance.
    24' Above Ground; Hayward PerFlex D.E. Filter; Hayward 1HP Pump.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Houston, Texas

Re: repairing rust at skimmer opening on metal pool?

In the first few pages of this lengthy but entertaining thread, Kias details how he cleaned up the rust on a used above ground pool he bought.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!