Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Safe to "Swim" at Shock Level?

1. Back To Top    #1

Safe to "Swim" at Shock Level?

When a pool service company closes the pool, they add their chemicals right then, without circulating them. I intend to shock (with bleach) and filter my pool the night before they come. At that point, they'll need to get into the pool to take out the ladder, stick their arms in the water to put on the aquador and such...is it safe for them at that shock level? My CYA is 50, so I've kept my FC at 4, and will shock to 20....thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Safe to "Swim" at Shock Level?

Pretty much anything over 10 ppm is not recommended, but if they are only in for maintenance and limiting there exposure it might be ok. How long will the procedure take??

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by salp
    Pretty much anything over 10 ppm is not recommended, but if they are only in for maintenance and limiting there exposure it might be ok. How long will the procedure take??
    Sal...did you mean 20ppm vs 10? FC of 20 would be shock level with CYA at 50
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

dmanb2b, I think she wants to know what level is ok to swim in?? 10 ppm or higher is not recommended right??

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by salp
    dmanb2b, I think she wants to know what level is ok to swim in?? 10 ppm or higher is not recommended right??
    No, not really. You can swim in FC up to shock level for the CYA in the pool. For 50 ppm CYA, its ok up to 20 ppm.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

I stand corrected!!!

7. Back To Top    #7

At usual shock level where the FC is around 40% of the CYA level, this has the same active chlorine (hypochlorous acid) concentration as a pool with 0.6 ppm FC and no CYA (or possibly 1.2 ppm FC with no CYA at 90ºF) which is lower than found in most indoor pools with no CYA. This is not unsafe, but it will likely oxidize swimsuits, skin and hair more rapidly and certainly one should avoid drinking large quantities of pool water (not something one normally does anyway). You basically will experience more of the annoying aspects of typical commercial/public indoor pools except it shouldn't smell as bad since the bather load is so much lower and it's outside in the sun with better air circulation.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks ChemGeek and everyone else who replied...I thought that was the case, but I feel better having it confirmed!