Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New place with a pool, Need help!

1. Back To Top    #1

New place with a pool, Need help!

Hello All,

We recently moved into a new place and have a pool in the back yard. The pool is great and my kids enjoy it but it is pretty cold and doesn't get a lot of direct sunlight. There is a pump and filter on the side and a solar heating system piped to the roof. I see that the filter is running but I don't think the solar heater is on at all. I am a real noob when it comes to this stuff and was hoping some of you could lend your expertise on the subject. I have a bunch of pics of the filter and will post a pic of the pool as soon as I can.

The pool guy who comes by to check on it says it will cost $400 to fix the pump and another $400 per panel to fix the solar heating if they need repair (3 panels I think).

If you guys could help me identify what I have and point me in the right direction that would be great!

Thanks

Pool Size (not sure) 10,000 gallons?
    138 sq ft cartridge filter
    In ground
    plaster pool
    3/4 hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New place with a pool, Need help!

If you could shoot some close ups of the labels on the equipment that would help. Also post a picture of your pool. I am sure it is larger than 1000 gallons! Approximately how long, wide and deep is the pool?

That big green box in the back looks like it could be a heater. You might have a cartridge filter. The thing with the aqua chlor sticker looks like a it may be automation, such as timers.

From your signature it looks like your not sure what material the pool is made of. If it feels smooth with a little "give" to it is probably a vinyl liner. Try and see if a magnet sticks to the inside wall of the pool. If it does then you have steel walls and a vinyl liner. A plaster pool feels very hard and will hurt your knuckles if you knock on the walls. A fiberglass pool may feel very smooth and is not as hard on the knuckles if you knock on the wall.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP! Many of us started out just like you did!

Start reading Pool School to get familiar with things. I would also encourage you to get yourself a high quality test kit such as the TF-100 (link in my sig line).

4. Back To Top    #4

OK here's a pic of the pool. Kind of odd shape so I'll have to get the measurements and estimate to get the gallons.

Can you tell the type of pool material from these close ups?

Also here are some various pics of the labels and control panel box.

Thanks
    In ground
    plaster pool
    3/4 hp pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Looks like a plaster pool, 3/4 hp pump, 138 sq ft cartridge filter, and a natural gas pool heater. You also have solar panels on the roof? Any pictures of those?
    TFP Moderator
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

OK here are some pics of the roof. Let me know what you think.

In ground
    plaster pool
    3/4 hp pump

7. Back To Top    #7

Hey Guys,

So anyone have some tips on how I can test these units? I'll like to start them up but am not sure where to begin. Any help would be great.

Thanks
    In ground
    plaster pool
    3/4 hp pump

8. Back To Top    #8

Have you run the solar panels yet? As far as I know, you just turn the valves so water is directed into the solar panels and watch for leaks. Hopefully one of the members with solar panels will comment.
    TFP Moderator
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Can you summarize what is working and what is not? You said it would be $400 to fix the pump; is that the main pump or something else?
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden