Do I need to fill before winter?

Aug 4, 2010
Hello, pool is almost complete (36 foot, kidney shaped). Live in Ontario Canada and we get a lot of snow. Fence install is 3 weeks away and by that time, it will be too late to use the pool this summer. My question is: Is it better to not fill the pool at all this year and have the first fill next Spring - or do I just fill to skimmer line, and not run the salt chlorinater or heater this year and run for first time next year - or lastly, do I open this year, balance the water and then close a week later?

Thanks for the help.

You almost have to fill the pool. The entire pool (or at least the liner) can float out of the ground due to ground water, and the walls can be cracked by freezing.

This is my first posting, but I went through the identical situation in August. My pool is now filled and winterized. They ran the pump for about a month and I had temperatures of 25 degrees and below throughout, but after filling, the plaster had to cure thus running the pump for 1 month, so they balanced chemicals. Just got it winterized and I'm much happier. My guess by now, you went through the same thing. It's important to get all the chemicals balanced and water in ground to eliminate problems with freezing/floating.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.