Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Instant Pool Water Conditioner

1. Back To Top    #1

Instant Pool Water Conditioner

Leslies had this in their email ad today. Just wondered what it was.
    Also check the More Info tab here: http://www.lesliespool.com/browse/Home/ ... nditioner/
    Instant Pool Water Conditioner is used for stabilizing chlorine in swimming pools from sunlight loss. Unprotected chlorine in swimming pool water can be 95% degraded in just 2 hours of direct sunlight. Chlorine will last many times longer in pool water properly conditioned/stabilized with Instant Pool Water Conditioner.
    Regular cyanuric acid with a pH of 2.8 is very acidic and it can take 4 to 7 days to dissolve. This can cause damage to the pool surface or circulation system depending on the method of application. Until it is dissolved, dry cyanuric acid will not protect chlorine from UV loss.
    Natural Chemistry’s Instant Pool Water Conditioner is not an acid (it’s a salt) and has a pool friendly pH of about 8.0. Add it to the pool and an instant later it is dissolved and ready to protect your chlorine. One gallon of Instant Pool Water Conditioner will raise the conditioner/stabilizer level in 10,000 gallons by 35ppm.
    40 x 16 (28k gallon) plaster pool, Intelliflo VF pump, Hayward 48 sq. ft. DE filter, using Purifiber, using BBB, TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Instant Pool Water Conditioner

It's CYA in a liquid form. It's fine to use, just a pretty expensive way to add CYA. I've used it before.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

I love "pool friendly pH of about 8.0" Since I add a gallon of MA every 10 days, I sure don't want to add something with 8.0 pH. I doubt the volume of stabilizer is enough to matter but it's the principle of the language.
    Garden Leisure Voyager 12x24 AGP, 7500 Gallons, Hayward Power Flo Matrix 1 HP pump, dual speed, Hayward XStream Cartridge Filter, 120 GPM,

4. Back To Top    #4

Thats what the label says, but in reality, it doesnt do really anything to the pH, in my experience. Others may have a differnet experience. I added a gallon of liquid CYA to my 14,000 gallon pool with a TA of 80, and I saw no change in pH. On the other hand, I've added several pounds of granular CYA at one time or another and saw a pH decrease. Enough so I've had to add a bit of borax to bump it up. Partly because I keep my TA on the low side because of my SWCG. A little bit of acid can drop the pH more than a bit of base with a TA of 70-80. Again, my experience. YMMV.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsman
    I sure don't want to add something with 8.0 pH.
    Because of the pH buffering in pool water, adding a product with a pH of 8.0 will have no measurable effect on the pH. Of course, in your situation where you need to add acid regularly, adding pure CYA is acidic enough to make a small difference, though takes some time to dissolve.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

6. Back To Top    #6

FWIW, I just used a jug of this today for a post-acid-wash startup, also using the Leslie's coupon. Although I shook it up pretty well, there were still a lot of "flakes" all around the pool. After a few hours and couple of sweeping sessions it seems to be fully dissolved, but there is definitely a lot of settling in the jug. Right on the instructions is says that after its empty you should fill it, shake it, and pour it again. After a couple times of doing that the water was clear.

In my case it was only 3oz more than I needed to hit 30, so I didn't have to do any measurements, just pour it all in. If you were going to use just part of it, I would be very concerned about accuracy and avoid using it. I don't think it's a good product, and will be using the dry stuff next time.

mt
    12K gallon 8' in-ground w/ Hef-style mini-grotto - Pentair IntelliFlo VS-3050 - Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 520 - Pentair MasterTemp 400BTU Heater - UltraPure Oxidizer - Nature2 ProG Mineral Filter (unused) - Pentair 320 Chlorine Feeder (Unused) - A&A In-Floor Max - Pentair Intellitouch i7+3 w/ Mobi and iPhone/PC ScreenLogic - IntelliBrite Color LED x 3 - Intellibrite Landscape LED x 10 - TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by VegasPoolRat
    I don't think it's a good product,
    Why do you say this? In my experience, it performed exactly as you said. Some settling in the jug, needs to be rinsed out, dissolves fairly fast. Increased my CYA by the said amount. And yes, I wouldnt adding a partial jug, too inacurate. But to add the entire contents, it works just fine.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by bk406 View Post
    Why do you say this? In my experience, it performed exactly as you said. Some settling in the jug, needs to be rinsed out, dissolves fairly fast. Increased my CYA by the said amount. And yes, I wouldnt adding a partial jug, too inacurate. But to add the entire contents, it works just fine.
    How long do you have to wait to swim after adding instant pool water conditioner??
    30 x 15, 11K gal, freeform gunite; built 2014; Pentair Intelliflo variable speed pump, Pentair Whisperflo pump, Pentair clean & clear plus filter, helicocol solar panels (installed 6/26/15).

9. Back To Top    #9

Immediately...
    39YO 13K gallon former SWAMP/MONEY PIT, concrete bottom/Fiberglass Walls, Ecotech VS pump, Hayward Sand Filter, Dolphin DX5 Plus, Loop-Loc safety cover and YES, I have a TFT-100 test kit!

Shock Level and Maintain - CL/CYA Chart

10. Back To Top    #10

Funny, the guy at the store told me we'd have to wait 24 hours after adding the conditioner before we could swim.
    30 x 15, 11K gal, freeform gunite; built 2014; Pentair Intelliflo variable speed pump, Pentair Whisperflo pump, Pentair clean & clear plus filter, helicocol solar panels (installed 6/26/15).

11. Back To Top    #11

As General Anthony McAuliffe so eloquently said to the German offer of surrender during the Battle of the Bulge, "Nuts"...
    39YO 13K gallon former SWAMP/MONEY PIT, concrete bottom/Fiberglass Walls, Ecotech VS pump, Hayward Sand Filter, Dolphin DX5 Plus, Loop-Loc safety cover and YES, I have a TFT-100 test kit!

Shock Level and Maintain - CL/CYA Chart

12. Back To Top    #12

Last edited by ewkearns; 07-17-2015 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Deleted

13. Back To Top    #13

I personally love the liquid stabilizer ... I don't know why anyone would want to dissolve and wait a week for test results to show up. But then again my pool being only 10,000 gallons might have something to do with it.
    14x26 rectangle vinyl liner pool . 1.5 hp 2 speed tri star pump, 2 aqua genie skimmers , no main drain. 175 sq ft star clear cartridge filter. 200,000 btu hayward heater Tf-100

14. Back To Top    #14

It does not take a week for results to show up if you dissolve the CYA in a sock or panty hose over a return flow or in a skimmer sock or T-shirt in the skimmer. I do the latter and it always measures soon after dissolving and only takes overnight to dissolve.

The rule for taking up to a week is for those people who pour pure CYA into the skimmer directly so that it gets caught in their filter. Oversized cartridge filters have VERY slow water velocity so the CYA takes a very long time to dissolve.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Kmaz View Post
    I personally love the liquid stabilizer ... I don't know why anyone would want to dissolve and wait a week for test results to show up. But then again my pool being only 10,000 gallons might have something to do with it.
    To each his own, but on a $/ppm basis, liquid CYA products cost twice as much as their granular counterparts. See this thread for details. Aside from cost, the liquid stuff is supposed to be pH neutral but I have never had a problem dealing with the acidity of CYA.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

16. Back To Top    #16

The problem I have with the Instant Conditioner from Leslies or from Walmart.com is that on the label it stats that it will treat 20,000 gallons of water. My pool is 25,000 so I added 2 gallons. Measured CYA was about 25 with a new CYA test kit from TFTestkits.com. Added 2 more gallons to bring CYA level up to 32. Very expensive at $41.03 per gallon.
    16 x 36; >45 yrs old IG Anthony pool; 25,000 gallons; Intelliflo variable speed pump; 60 sq in cartridge filter; Pentair Mastertemp pool heater

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

Two 5.5 lb containers of the dry stuff from Home Depot cost $19 each and was enough to bring my pool up to 70 CYA. That vs four gallons at a cost of $41 each for a total of $160 to achieve only a level of 32 in a similar size pool. If that's right it would have cost me over $300 vs the $40 for my pool. That's why poeple don't buy the liquid.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit