Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How often can I use clarifier?

1. Back To Top    #1

How often can I use clarifier?

FC=4
    CC=0
    PH=7.5
    CYA=35

My numbers have looked great for several weeks, but my water has not! I don't think there is any algae but the water will not clear up. (I stopped shocking because there was no CC and no overnight loss.) I am pretty sure it is just dirt. I finally broke down and added some clarifier when the water kept getting cloudier and cloudier and it made a huge difference overnight. I added a full dose on Saturday and another half dose 2 days later which helped some more. The bottle said overuse will cause more cloudiness, so my question is how many times or how frequently can I add clarifier, or do I just need to wait it out now? Does the clarifier get used up when it binds the particles, or does it stay in the water?
    WilBar Escalade 18x40 Oval AGP
    7' Hopper Style Deep End, 27K gallons
    Vinyl Unibead Liner
    Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How often can I use clarifier?

You've come to the wrong place to ask that question!

My answer is never! If your chems are in balance and your filter is operating as designed, you don't need clarifier. If you "need" clarifier then you should look at all the equipment to make sure it's doing it's job efficiently and to the best of it's ability.

Please post the rest of the test results too.
    TA
    CH
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

TA is 80. I did not test CH but can do that tonight. The sand filter seems to be working. There is plenty of dirt when we backwash which we have been doing every couple of days. I have been trying to stick with BBB but got impatient. Also my hubby installed an inline chlorinator and we started using the trichlor tabs that came with the pool. I switched back to bleach at the same time I added the clarifier.
    Vinyl Unibead Liner
    Sand Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Actually, I have found a clarifier useful on occasion. If you have quite a bit of dirt, pollon, or other material that get blown into the pool, the water can be a bit dull from some of the finer particles. This can be especially true if you have a sand filter. Sand will filter particles down to about 30 microns or so. Normally, this would be fine since you cant see particles that size and below by eye. However, you can start to see dull water if too many of that particulate matter is present. If thats the case, then even perfect chemistry will still result in dull appearing water. This doesnt hurt anything, but it can be annoying if "sparkly" water is desirable. The same effect can be accomplished by adding a bit of D.E. to the sand filter. The method is described in pool school. I've never done that, but I have used a clarifier on occasion.
    All that being said, if the water is really cloudy, there may be something else that's causing it that a clarifier may not help, or actually make worse. And....you can overdose it, and casue more cloudiness, but that usually clears up in a couple of days.

So..i'll disagree a bit with Bama in that, IMO, there are uses for a clarifier, but a good set of test results are needed to rule out things a clarifier may or may not help. Really, the idea of BBB is to be able to test the water, and know what to do with the test results. The other basic tenent is to not add anything that is not needed to your pool. Some take that to the point of not adding anything other than chlorine, borax/acid/ baking soda, and stabilizer. I feel there are uses for a clarifier sometimes if all the water test indicate nothing else is occuring.

Lastly, get the CH number. That would give us an idea if the cloudiness is due to high calcium levels. If thats the case, a clarifier wont do much good.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

No use for clarifier if you follow what this website teach's...
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Sounds like you need a little more POP (pool owner patience). Backwashing your sand filter "every couple of days" is too much unless you're clearing a "swamp". A slightly dirty filter actually filters better than a clean filter. There's a point where the pressure rises that that's not the case.

How long are you running your pump per day?
    What size is your pump?
    Is your pump 2-speed?

BK -- I don't mind being disagreed with! Disagreeing with the pool store is how I found this place. If we all agreed all the time we'd never learn anything new!
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by kplaster
    No use for clarifier if you follow what this website teach's...
    I agree with you mostly. Re-read my post above. Lots of "clarifiers" for the use of a clarifier. Pun intended, however bad!
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

8. Back To Top    #8

The pump is 1.5 hp and we have been running it 6-12 hours per day. I don't think there is channeling though I am not sure what to look for. The surface of the and is flat when I take the top off the filter. I am definitely running out of POP. I want some sparkly water before I have to close the pool for the winter!
    Vinyl Unibead Liner
    Sand Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

You need to run the pump 24/7 until the pool clears, make sure you rinse before you turn the multivalve back to filtration too.
    55 Kilolitre in-ground 18'X36' vinyl lined kidney shape, 1HP pump, Jacuzzi 250lb sand filter, RayPak Delta T 200K BTU natural gas heater. New PoolWerks "Blue Diffusion" liner on May 26th-2011

10. Back To Top    #10

I had a similar problem to this once. Turned out to be not enough sand in the filter. One symptom was sediment returning into the pool even after rinsing, due to the large volume of dirty water in the space above the sand.
    Self built 5500 gallon bare concrete (temporarily) pool with limestone coping, Pentair Swimmey 1/2 HP pump, Triton sand filter with DE, Simpool peristaltic muriatic acid pump with pH sensor and Monarch SWG. Home made solar heater with Pentair Compool control panel and 3 way valve. 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 2 returns, 2" plumbing, Hayward auto fill valve.

11. Back To Top    #11

I remember once I "accidently" used a clarifier in my pool. My wife and I wanted to use some of that pool dye for a party we were having. I put the dye in the pool and it turned deep blue as expected, then after a day or so once the chlorine burned off the dye, my water chemistry was really messed up for about a week. After some further research, this "dye" also has a clarifier in it. Won't be using this stuff again anytime soon. Maybe I'll go for a darker color plaster when we replaster in the next few years...
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-oasis-t26558.html

12. Back To Top    #12

Re darker plaster, be aware of what the darker color may do to pool temperatures. Dark color absorbs more heat from sunlight.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.