gunite wall problem

Jun 26, 2007
I have a gunite pool that is suffering from some scaling (a few patches of gunite {a thin layer} have chipped off the walls). I now have my Hardness level back to where it should be. My question is:
What is the best solution for the repair? Is a marble dust the only solution? Iam looking for a low cost solution if possible!
Thanks!
Rob

Could you post a picture?

A gunite pool is made with a thick layer of concrete covered by a thinner layer of plaster. Only the plaster is truly waterproof. If the plaster is coming off enough enough to expose the gunite (which would be a different color) you might want to do something. If you have scaling I could imagine that the patches that are coming off are really scale and you don't need to do anything.

Yeah, if you've got patches coming off the wall, it could well be that the bond between the plaster and the concrete has failed, at least in that area.

Assuming it's not scale letting go, your solutions are not easy. Painting and sealing those patches may provide some temporary (but maybe not pretty) relief but it's likely the process will continue to a greater or lesser degree.

A long term solution of one kind or another is going to most likely require a professional plasterer.

Hopefully, you are losing chunks of scale....that's a good thing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.