Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Filtration scheme

1. Back To Top    #1

Filtration scheme

HI,

I'm trying to restore an old pool that doesn't currently have a skimmer. I'm cutting out and re-pooring a section of one the walls so I would like your opinion on my idea of where stuff should go.
    The old (current) drain works but is a galvanised pipe and I fear that the rust will affect our water quality. I would prefer to go drainless but if I have to have one, the opertunity is there to put one in the cut out in the floor. Just so you understand, the rectangular cut out in the floor was created for drainage when the previous owners decided to fill the pool in with dirt.

So...

What do you think of my simple set up? skimmer etc. locations

no drain?

cement triangular shelf for skimmer (form work)

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cement 12'x30', in the neighborhood of 50 years old. Restored, 1.5"plumbing, 1hp super pump 2, Hayward swim clear cartridge filter, Summit2.5t heater,Hayward SWG t-9 cell, Nexxus Blanco lights, pentair bermuda gunite skimmer.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Filtration scheme

I'm a novice at this, but I would add another return, ditch the UV and use a 1hp 2speed or a 3/4 hp pump. A main drain is a nice to have, but not a necessity.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply.

What's the problem with U.V.?

where would you think a second return should go?
    Cement 12'x30', in the neighborhood of 50 years old. Restored, 1.5"plumbing, 1hp super pump 2, Hayward swim clear cartridge filter, Summit2.5t heater,Hayward SWG t-9 cell, Nexxus Blanco lights, pentair bermuda gunite skimmer.

4. Back To Top    #4

There is no need for a UV system in a residential pool....again if you really want one, that's OK, but it will not eliminate the need for an EPA approved residual sanitizer such as Chlorine, Bromine or Baquacil.

I'm think another return in the shallow end on the opposite side to improve circulation.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

5. Back To Top    #5

I'd put three return lines in. 1 1/2" plumbing, straight through the wall so that you can put directional eyeball fittings on to adjust the water direction. Loop the entire system to equalize all of the returns. Put in another 1 1/2" line for a dedicated suction line and bury the main drain. You won't need it with a cleaner.

6. Back To Top    #6

If you have a prevailing wind, put the skimmer as far downwind as you can. You'll thank me later.

I personally like having a main drain. There's no cold layer as you swim deeper since it all circulates. If you have a robot, that will take care of it. If not, the main drain is also useful when brushing. Sometimes there's only a couple small leaves in the pool, and I can just sweep them into the drain without wrestling the vacuum out.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

I really appreciate the help.

I like the idea of U.V. because it will cut down on the quantity of clorine needed.

I actually prefer the idea of more returns, I just don't know where to put them. In the shallow end pointing toward the skimmer I presume.

How low below the water level should they be? and do they both need to be at the same level?

8. Back To Top    #8

what about my skimmer/form plan? is it enough cement to hold it?

9. Back To Top    #9

The returns are there to "help" the water towards the skimmer. Richard's suggestion of paying attention to the prevailing wind is solid, and will help also. Returns are typically placed 18" below water level.

I will see if I can find a structural plan that shows the skimmer detail and scan and post it. Probably won't be until sometime tomorrow though.

10. Back To Top    #10

I'm going back to the drawing board on this as now that you've pointed out the winds presents in this factor, I see that the skimmer should be in the deep end on the same wall.

Thanks so much for the scan.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by brownsburg

I like the idea of U.V. because it will cut down on the quantity of chlorine needed.

Your welcome UV is a good idea in commercial pools and a great marketing idea for residential pools. The bulk of chlorine consumption in residential pools is from sunlight and not organic matter. UV may reduce organic matter, but again the amount of chlorine used to accomplish the same is minimal. You still need to maintain the same adequate FC levels whether you use UV, FC, the Frog, Nature 2, etc...or not. Again the bulk of that FC in a residential pool, with even moderate bather load, will be consumed by sunlight and not bather load.

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by dmanb2b
    Quote Originally Posted by brownsburg

I like the idea of U.V. because it will cut down on the quantity of chlorine needed.

Your welcome UV is a good idea in commercial pools and a great marketing idea for residential pools. The bulk of chlorine consumption in residential pools is from sunlight.
    And sunlight is U.V. so adding a puny little lamp compared to the sun is a waste of money. U.V. uses up chlorine so your lamp will just add a tiny little bit more U.V. to use up some more chlorine, the reverse of what you want to achieve.

U.V. for commercial indoor pools.

13. Back To Top    #13

I'm going to try and post up the skimmer detail. I'm not sure how well it will show, so PM me if you want me to email/fax it to you!

14. Back To Top    #14

Thanks so much for the reassuring plans.

Here is my new schematic, having taken into consideration the wind and the need for an additional return. Let me know what you think about the two different size pipes to try to even out the pressure on these.

Is the 1.5 Hayward super my best choice or should I go for something more efficient?

I'm keeping the U.V. as my son lost most of his spleen and has almost no immune system.

I really want to thank everyone for all there input up until now, you've been great. I'll be a long time member

15. Back To Top    #15

I would still stay with one size pipe and loop the entire pool. It is just a little bit more pipe than what you show, and then you would be assured of equal flow. I would seriously do three returns and not two also. You'll appreciate it long after you forget how much work it was!

16. Back To Top    #16

In the Industry

Seconded! You would save pipe if you put a T midway and then fed roughly equal runs to the returns I would still use three returns setting the third one deeper to stir the lower part of the water.

Sorry to hear about your Son's condition but I cant think how U.V. would help with a compromised immune system (I also have a compromised immune system so would appreciate your thoughts on the matter)

17. Back To Top    #17

From what I've read, U.V. filters kill more bacteria than clorine.

Can the complete circuit(loop) around the pool be done in flex pipe? I guess they have "T" fittings for this?

18. Back To Top    #18

You can use the same Sch 40 fittings and glue/primer you would use on rigid PVC.

19. Back To Top    #19

thanks dman.

20. Back To Top    #20

Looks like that table came right from the UV manufacturer's website. It's not a total lie, but is definitely misleading. Without a fast-acting sanitizer in the pool water, the pool will not be sanitary. UV can only kill stuff in the UV chamber, leaving all the algae/bacteria/etc growing on the walls of the pool untouched. It is a waste of money. Yes, it will kill crypto/giardia while chlorine doesn't do that all that well. But again, that's only in the UV chamber, not in the pool itself. You get plenty of UV for free from the sun for burning off chloramines.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast