How to pick a skimmer

Aug 29, 2010
Hi,

we're restoring an old pool inground cement pool that didn't have a skimmer. We figured that because part of one the walls has to be replaced due to a large crack, this would be the perfect time to add a skimmer. From what I understand, they get mounted through the form before the pouring of the wall and will need a bit of a cement/rebar reinforced shelf to tie into the wall. This tells me that this thing is pretty permanent.

So are there any brands to stay away from? So far it's between a pentair s15 and Hayward(cement versions)

Is the equalization attachment a good feature? this would be the second connection under the unit that gets directed as an inlet within the pool directly under the skimmer. (correct?)

Also, if my pool wall is 6" thick, does the space between the face of the unit(where the weir closes) and the bucket have to be greater than 6"? Most aren't.

I'm going to need a lot of reassurance with this project if anyone has the time for me: )

Get a white one

Dear Brownsburg,

Although I cannot advise you at all on any of the points you asked about, I feel extremely strongly about skimmer color.

Every pool I've ever taken care of in the past always happened to have a white skimmer. I thought all skimmers were white.

When we did our renovation, skimmer color never crossed my mind. I was mortified to find black skimmers installed. They are creepy and scary to me. I never know what is going to be in there when I go to clean them out! Where I live, there are so many critters that get into the pool and are there for me to find, dead or alive, in the skimmers.

It takes great bravery and long rubber gloves for me to pull out my baskets. I find everything in there with the leaves and pine straw: Huge dead bugs, frogs still alive, baby possoms :shock: , sNaKes! And then, the worst part is, with the basket out, I don't know what the heck else is in that horrible abyss! I can't tell if it is clean or still has something awful in it.

*shudder*

Lana

Thanks.

When installing the skimmer, during the pour, do I need to coat the skimmer with some sort of product or is it cement directly on plastic? I guess I'm wondering if the cement pour by itself will make it waterproof.

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.