zodiac lm3-24 owners that have replaced salt cell

Eric_K

Jul 13, 2010
Hello,
I recently ordered a replacement cell for my zodiac chlorinator. The new cell, a zodiac manufactured part, is slightly different shape and white instead of my original that was black. I put the new cell adapter in, slid the cell in, and tightened down the locking ring to seal it. The problem I'm discovering, the new cell seems to be just slightly thicker on the portion that seals against the O-ring, causing the notched area for the electrical wiring to be in the 5 O'clock position instead of straight down. This requires a tight bend in the electrical wire that I'm not comfortable with. Funny thing is, if I use the locking ring that came with the new housing, the notched area is at about the 7 O'clock position, which is how I installed it, but still the same problem. Zodiac is recommending I re-plumb and install the new outer housing that came with the cell! Seems ridiculous to replace the entire thing just for a new cell. Has anyone else experienced this or have any better ideas? I'm actually thinking of just taking out the entire thing and going to regular chlorine rather than possibly have to re-plumb the section in a few more years.

Strannik said:
is it possible to rotate the locking ring before you start turning it to seal it? or rotate the cell itself?

No, it doesn't matter where you start turning it from, it always ends up in the same spot. It seems the locking ring threads start at a little different spot, and also the threads on the unit the ring locks onto. Very odd, I think maybe they changed manufacturing process or something. The cell isn't made so that you can rotate it once you get it in, and it only goes in one way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.