blistering on fiberglass

Jun 22, 2007
Anyone ever had blistering/bubbles on bottom of fiberglass pool? I googled this problem and apparently the surface needs a new coat of gel every 17-20 years?!? What the? Never thought this would be an issue. Pool existed when moved in, I believe it was built @ 1995. Not sure. Any suggestions? How do I go about repairs? Does bracing need to take place before draining? Please help I am sick about this situation?

Thanks Scott...will the whole surface need to be redone eventually? If so should I have it done while the pool is drained to prevent future issues? The area is about 16 inches long and about 5 inches wide, unfortunately in the deep end. If I have the whole thing done over then I should be good for a while and maybe there wont be a color difference??? I am really nervous to drain and worrying about shifting or cracking. I am considering waiting to next season since I will be closing in the next few weeks. I won't need to put any closing chemicals in since I will be disposing of water, right? Thanks for any further input.
Robin

After 7.5 years, never empty, my spa developed a few bubbles this spring (I don't know why) so I'm going to be watching this thread.

General questions though. Will this in pool or spa cause any damage to the fiberglass underneath? Or will leaks become a problem?

Thanks, gg=alice

hey granny,
from what i understand the gel coat is what keeps the surface from becoming porous--once bubbles appear that means the coating in worn and alge can set in the "uncoated" area. i think you are in o.k shape if you only fix that small spot. you are less likely to see it after repair and it is much easier to repair that a pool. i don't believe it damage fiberglass or make leaks more prone to happen. good luck.

Any one have any more comments? Getting ready to close for the winter and don't want this over my head all winter. Who would do the procedure a pool company or the manufacture? At a loss...please help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.