Two Questions Regarding Pool Construction

ncpool

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 31, 2010
Has anyone ever heard of the following construction techniques:

1. Using blocks with concrete poured into them for wall material?
2. Instead of using rebar and a bonding grid for deck material, just using the bonding grid (and no rebar)?

Our pool was built in the summer of 2009 in Michigan. I can't speak to your first question, but as for the second our pool only has the bonding grid under a portion of the deck. You can see a picture of it in the photo I've attached below. The contractor used what's called fiber mesh in the concrete, which supposedly replaces the need for wire mesh or rebar throughout the slab. So far so good.

Attachments

• IMG_0659.jpg
    IMG_0659.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 326
I am going to assume this is for a liner pool. If it is for a plaster pool, then the answer is no.

Just don't want to read a thread later about a plaster pool with cracks every so often in a random checkerboard pattern.....

Yeah, this is the same technique used by one of the builders I have spoken with: Concrete poured into concrete blocks, and then fitted with a vinyl liner.

The builder said his process was almost exactly the same as the link provided by Bama Rambler, maybe not quite so much rebar is used.

Thanks again for the link Bama.

Fiber refers to fiberglass added to the concrete mix correct? I also heard if rebar is used it needs to be up off the ground so when the cement is poured it is surrounded by the concrete. As apposed to pour on top of that is. Fins up if you don't mind who installed your pool in Michigan. We are in the process of interviewing/getting quotes from builders.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.