Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Mechanical Timer Issues

1. Back To Top    #1

Mechanical Timer Issues

We currently have a mechanical timer for our filter and pool vac. The timer looks like the one in this picture ... http://www.poolcenter.com/T30401R-In...ing-Center.jpg

The on/off switches on the timer for the filter keep coming unscrewed and/or moving, no matter how tight we tighten them. Is it possible to remove these mechanical timers and insert digital ones into the same box, or would we need to completely replace the box with digital timers? Also, any ideas as to cost to replace the timers with digital ones?

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Mechanical Timer Issues

I have a mechanical timer and love it but it's a different style. It's divided in 30 min segments and you punch in the segments you want activated. I can run 12 and 12 or every other half hour if I was so inclined. Cost less than $50 at HD. I can't adjust the schedule for different days like a digital but I find it more versatile for every day use and easier to set when I want to make adjustments.
    Garden Leisure Voyager 12x24 AGP, 7500 Gallons, Hayward Power Flo Matrix 1 HP pump, dual speed, Hayward XStream Cartridge Filter, 120 GPM,

3. Back To Top    #3

I wouldn't mind a mechanical timer ... that works. My issue is with the on/off levers slipping continuously. I just need to get something to replace the one I currently have. Unless we tighten the levers weekly, either our filter is always running, or it's not running at all due to the slipping of the on/off levers. Neither is acceptable.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by trclac
    I wouldn't mind a mechanical timer ... that works. My issue is with the on/off levers slipping continuously. I just need to get something to replace the one I currently have. Unless we tighten the levers weekly, either our filter is always running, or it's not running at all due to the slipping of the on/off levers. Neither is acceptable.
    Tried Loctite on the dogs? I've never seen that happening. Could there be oil or grease on the rotating disk?
    17,000 Gallon plaster pool. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE Filter. 3/4 HP Hayward Superpump converted to dual speed. CircuPool RJ45. Skimmer, floor drain, two returns.

5. Back To Top    #5

I have not tried Loctite. I'll look into that. The disk seems to be clean of oil and grease. BTW, I'm on my third set of these switches. Can't imagine they'd all be defective.

6. Back To Top    #6

I've had some come loose and slide around the dial as it moves. I think it might be heat related. I never have any problem just putting them back on.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!