Hayward DE filter issue

skos

Aug 17, 2010
I have an in ground gunite pool and spa about 4 years old with a Hayward DE (Diatomaceous Earth) filter.

When the pool motor starts each day the pressure is fine and the spa fountain is correct (about 3 feet of water coming up). In about 5 mins the fountain is only 1 inch up. It appears I have an air leak somewhere?

I have replaced all motor seals, replaced entire backwash assembly. Replaced motor basket cover and seals, motor basket, replaces Hayward DE gasket and drain plug with gasket. I also replumbed the motor to the DE filter

It’s not an issue with backwashed, opened and cleaned. I do that when it needs it.

I completly took apart filter. Cleaned and it is working fine now.
I did not add any DE as I want to see what if anything would happen. The filter went a week before losing I lost the fountain pressure.

I backwashed and it worked for another week. So I cleaned the filter and added DE.

It lasted 1 day before losing pressure to the spa fountain.

Ideas?

What does the water look like? What is your pressure reading when the fountain is only an inch high? Does backwashing and replacing the DE restore the flow?

JohnT said:
What does the water look like? What is your pressure reading when the fountain is only an inch high? Does backwashing and replacing the DE restore the flow?

water is clean. backwashing & added DE does replace the flow but only for 1 day

zea3 said:
Did you check the impeller? Does the sound of the pump change after it has been running awhile? What was it that caused the pump to run dry in the first place?

impeller is perfect. pump does not change sound. Pump ran dry as a result of after a storm and the skimmers getting loaded with leaves

skos said:
zea3 said:
Did you check the impeller? Does the sound of the pump change after it has been running awhile? What was it that caused the pump to run dry in the first place?

impeller is perfect. pump does not change sound. Pump ran dry as a result of after a storm and the skimmers getting loaded with leaves

I edited my post, since I remembered your other thread from this morning. Is the plumbing clear of debris from the skimmer to the pump?

zea3 said:
skos said:
zea3 said:

I edited my post, since I remembered your other thread from this morning. Is the plumbing clear of debris from the skimmer to the pump?

No debris anywhere

Tell us about the pressure readings. When it's working and when it's not. How are you cleaning the interior of the filter? Acid soak?

It sounds like your filter is simply catching dirt. Not really much other reason for the pressure to rise in a DE filter if backwashing clears it.

An air leak would cause a pressure drop.

Running the filter without DE probably resulted in clogged grids, which won't clear by backwashing. They'll need to be cleaned.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Dissolve 1 cup of TSP (real TSP not TSP substitute) or dishwasher soap to every 5 gallons of water. Put the grids in a large container, such as a garbage can, and fill with enough cleaning solution to cover the grids. Let the grids soak overnight, then hose off completely. If the grids are still clogged you can soak them in a solution of 1 part muriatic acid to 20 parts water. Soak grids until bubbling ceases. Rinse completely. You don't want to do an acid soak unless absolutely necessary. If you don't do it right you may damage your grids.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.