Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 3/4 of an inch loss in water

1. Back To Top    #1

3/4 of an inch loss in water

Hello all,

Wanted to verify if I should be concerned. I noticed that my water level has been dropping a bit quicker than normal.

As of recent Houston has been 98 degrees for several days straight, except for yesterday and today it reached 95. Be that as it may, last night I filled the water back to its normal location and marked it with a pen. 24 hours later the water level has dropped approximatley 3/4 of an inch. Is this within a normal evaporation range or should I be concerned. I have walked the perimeter of the pool and have not noticed any wet spots. The pool equipement appears dry and no air bubbles are observed emitting out of any of the drains or returns, except for the ozonator return. What are yalls thoughts.

chris
    13,500 gallon free form Pebble Tec pool- 2 skimmers
    Pentair Intelli-Flow filter pump, Pentair Intelli-Super Flo booster pump, waterfall pump, Del Ozone Eclipse 1 generator, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge filtration, Nature 2 XG Clear Vision, In-line Chlorinator, Polaris 280, Raypack heater, and Color Logic LED lights.

Proud user of BBB, pool school, pool calculator, TF-100, and the advice of the friendly people here!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 3/4 of an inch loss in water

The best way I know to find out is with a 'bucket test'. Find a bucket, fill it half to 3/4 with water, and set it in the pool on a step or milk crate or something to support it so that the top is above the pool's water line. Mark the bucket water level on the inside of the bucket, and mark the pool water level on the outside of the bucket. Make a note of the time.
    Next day, check and mark the levels again. If the bucket water drops the same amount as the pool water, there is no leak. If the pool drops more than the bucket, you have a leak.
    Oh - if the bucket drops more than the pool, then ... Well, I dunno - that's not sposed to happen. Maybe you have an auto-fill system or a leaky bucket.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

3. Back To Top    #3

Depending on how hot and dry it is, it's not uncommon to lose up to 2" a day. I think you are fine.

4. Back To Top    #4

I am also seeing about that much loss in my above ground this past week. I put in about an 1 1/2" on Saturday and by Wednesday it was about an inch down. I think this is the hottest week we have had all year!
    We are supposed to be in the low 90's next week. See if the rate of loss slows down.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I appreciate all of the replies. I will try the bucket test this evening and check the results 24 hrs later. Ill post back then with the results.

Chris
    13,500 gallon free form Pebble Tec pool- 2 skimmers
    Pentair Intelli-Flow filter pump, Pentair Intelli-Super Flo booster pump, waterfall pump, Del Ozone Eclipse 1 generator, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge filtration, Nature 2 XG Clear Vision, In-line Chlorinator, Polaris 280, Raypack heater, and Color Logic LED lights.

Proud user of BBB, pool school, pool calculator, TF-100, and the advice of the friendly people here!