Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DIY Riser for Wedding Cake Type Steps?

1. Back To Top    #1

DIY Riser for Wedding Cake Type Steps?

I am building a deck around my AGP, which effectively makes the top level another 8" above where it typically be. As a result, my wedding cake steps are a little short.

They sell risers for these, but man, they are $80 or something shipped.

Anyone made some sort of DIY version for risers?

I'm thinking of buying a set of those plastic shelves and using them as risers (the shelf part).

Other ideas?
    Richard
    Temecula, CA
    28,000 Gal. In-Ground plaster and tile, Total Control AutoPilot with SC-60 SWG and PH control, Pentair EasyTouch 8, EasyTouch Wireless Remote, Intelliflo VS+SVRS pump, Intellibrite lighting, Pentair Quad 100, Solar heating, Pentair Mastertemp 400 Gas Heater, The Pool Cleaner 4x, Aquabot Turbo T2 Robotic Cleaner, Water feature spillover from SPA.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DIY Riser for Wedding Cake Type Steps?

How about a plastic pallet?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

If you are still building, why not just build the deck flush with or under the top rail? Otherwise, if it looks good, $80 doesn't seem that outrageous for something you'll use for many years to come
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by dmanb2b
    If you are still building, why not just build the deck flush with or under the top rail? Otherwise, if it looks good, $80 doesn't seem that outrageous for something you'll use for many years to come
    I purposely put the deck over the pool rail, so that's a done deal, I'll have it finished up this weekend. It occurred to me that I'll have some extra vinyl fence rails left over that I can use. My though is to create something hidden anyway, and since I have 2 sets of stairs, $160 just kills my naturally CHEAP nature. ;->
    Richard
    Temecula, CA
    28,000 Gal. In-Ground plaster and tile, Total Control AutoPilot with SC-60 SWG and PH control, Pentair EasyTouch 8, EasyTouch Wireless Remote, Intelliflo VS+SVRS pump, Intellibrite lighting, Pentair Quad 100, Solar heating, Pentair Mastertemp 400 Gas Heater, The Pool Cleaner 4x, Aquabot Turbo T2 Robotic Cleaner, Water feature spillover from SPA.

5. Back To Top    #5

My 2 cents. Spend the $160 for the right stuff. They will last, and it will look good. Anything else probably would look a little "home made".
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by bk406
    My 2 cents. Spend the $160 for the right stuff. They will last, and it will look good. Anything else probably would look a little "home made".
    I hear ya. pool season is just about wrapping up, so the intention is to move the steps into the shop this winter and see what I can work out. If it looks good with a little DIY, all the better, but if not, I'll buy some risers.

I'm currently building a 65 cobra replica, so fabrication is more or less a way of life. ;->
    Richard
    Temecula, CA