pool covers

thecanuck22

In The Industry
Jun 11, 2010
Vernon BC
Had a pool builder tell a client that they needed to remove the cover from there pool periodically throughout the summer so that algae does not grow. They have a SWCG. I was adamant that was horses@!&, just looking for confirmation is all

[Edit]Sadly[/End Edit]That is also what WE tell our customers, although it applies
far more often to solar blankets around here...
I do not believe it helps algaes to grow in ANY way,
it contributes to customers forgeting adding chlorine. The point is
moot with a SWCG, I know, but the industry mostly work with
''magic tricks'' and automated procedures, few have the
knowledge to back it up.

So I confirm, it would actually make him save on chlorine
and this means replacing the costly cell less often. I
would still advise strongly to test chlorine on a regular basis.

I'd also explain WHY he would suggest such a thing. Helps to
believe your arguments and the pool builder doesn't seems
as much a fool. Diplomacy.

While I agree about the algae (no way can it grow as long as there is sufficient chlorine), it is a good idea to take the cover off periodically. If I leave it on for a few days, CC will creep up slowly, I guess since the sun is unable to burn it off. Some others here have noticed this as well, but not everyone.

Woohoo my first post :party: I just had my pool installed (16 x 32 vinyl) and my pool builder told us to open the automatic cover(not solar cover) at least 4 hours every day to prevent chlorine gas from building up under the cover and damaging the liner.
Any truth in his words?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.