Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Floating pool lights (solar) ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Floating pool lights (solar) ?

Hi,

When we replastered the pool recently, we lost our light because it was no longer up to spec (bringing it up to spec was not worth the cost). It's not too big of a deal but I would like to have some sort of lighting again in the pool, so I was thinking about a floating light, preferably solar powered (we have the sun all day). I came across some el cheapo ones but nothing really too exciting.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Floating pool lights (solar) ?

No longer up to specs? Who's specs? What specs? Was it working before?

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

We'll bury them out here if they have a deck J-Box. Not worth trying to make it compliant and going through the upgrade typically.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by simicrintz
    We'll bury them out here if they have a deck J-Box. Not worth trying to make it compliant and going through the upgrade typically.
    Can you be more specific? NEC says the j-box has to be 8" above maximum water line, or 4" above ground level or the pool deck, which ever is greater, and no less than 4 feet from the edge of the water.
    What's your definition of a "deck j-box?
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

We have to be 8" above the water of the body the light services. A deck J-Box is an old style box that is buried in the deck, with the cover flush with the deck.

I see these all the time on the older pools, but they are no longer compliant, and we have to remove concrete and take the conduit back to a suitable location away from the pool (typically these boxes are about 18" off of the coping), at least 10' and a minimum of 8" higher than the water.

I'll try and take a pic next time I see one and post it up.

6. Back To Top    #6

Yeah, I'm guessing our pool must be 40y old orso. The house was built in 1965. No cracks though; I guess it survived some good earthquakes