Anyone Use a Skimlite Brand Pole?

mickey4paws

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 10, 2009
S.E. MI
I need a new pole and want something that will last. The ones I've bought in the past have been junk. So I came across poles made by Skimlite that look pretty good.

I can't decide between the following. Any opinions?

http://www.skimlite.com/3006.html
"The Patented EliptiLock telescope pole is the only telescope pole made with no parts. Nothing to fall out or break! Made of drawn aluminum tubing, the outside tube is rolled just slightly out of round. A short section of the inside tube is equally out of round. When turned against each other these tubes create their own lock. And this lock holds up for many years. Even when used on a daily basis."

or

http://www.skimlite.com/3500.html
"It's dual locking system combines the outside lock from the 5000 Series and the EliptiLock internal lock from the 3000 Series. The dual locking system ensures that the pole stays locked even during the most demanding jobs."

Or

http://www.skimlite.com/9000.html
"Skimlite has created a dual lock assembly using our nylon outside lock and our patented cam assembly to make our new #9000 series poles. The tubes are made of the heaviest drawn aluminum tubing in either two piece or three piece pole combinations. The #9016 is two eight foot poles and the #9018 and #9024 are three piece poles. They all come with the larger drain holes which help make the poles lighter in use. Both lock assemblies have replaceable parts when worn and easy to replace in the field."

I have a Skimlite EliptiLock (or its predecessor) dating, I believe, from 1985, which I found at the bottom of the murky pool when I took ownership in 1993. It still works well, which is more than I can say for the two poles I have bought since. The grip is looking a little worn, and a decorative plastic collar is split, but, hey, it's 25 years old!
You just turn the top piece of the pole slightly to lock it, and it holds very well. I don't think you need the other model with a dual locking mechanism. The cheaper poles made by others require me to turn two plastic pieces, and still never lock right. I went back to using the EliptiLock when one of the new poles bent, and the other one started to lose its paint.
This is definitely a quality product. I have no idea what one costs, or what model I have, but I highly recommend this brand.

mickey4paws said:
I need a new pole and want something that will last. The ones I've bought in the past have been junk. So I came across poles made by Skimlite that look pretty good.

I can't decide between the following. Any opinions?

http://www.skimlite.com/3006.html
"The Patented EliptiLock telescope pole is the only telescope pole made with no parts. Nothing to fall out or break! Made of drawn aluminum tubing, the outside tube is rolled just slightly out of round. A short section of the inside tube is equally out of round. When turned against each other these tubes create their own lock. And this lock holds up for many years. Even when used on a daily basis."

or

http://www.skimlite.com/3500.html
"It's dual locking system combines the outside lock from the 5000 Series and the EliptiLock internal lock from the 3000 Series. The dual locking system ensures that the pole stays locked even during the most demanding jobs."

Or

http://www.skimlite.com/9000.html
"Skimlite has created a dual lock assembly using our nylon outside lock and our patented cam assembly to make our new #9000 series poles. The tubes are made of the heaviest drawn aluminum tubing in either two piece or three piece pole combinations. The #9016 is two eight foot poles and the #9018 and #9024 are three piece poles. They all come with the larger drain holes which help make the poles lighter in use. Both lock assemblies have replaceable parts when worn and easy to replace in the field."

Thanks a lot for the replyreply, Derek, I really appreciate it. That's quite a testament to Skimlite that yours is still working after all these years. I've bought those cheap ones before too and they always break or bend. One time I got one of the blue aluminum ones and I couldn't believe it when my hands turned blue from the paint on it. So that's why I want to go with a good quality pole now. Still can't figure out why someone would want a 3 part pole as opposed to a 2 part pole. I guess I don't see what benefit 3 parts would have over the 2 part one, especially if their total length is the same.

I just took a closer look at the Skimlite website. It would appear that I have an older version of the #1008, which I saw on one site retailing for $52.40. The heavier #5008 sells there for $96.00, and would seem to be overkill for a non-commercial pool, considering that my #1008 has lasted a quarter-century. The cheapo blue pole that I bought a couple of years back cost me around $16, and bent within the year, while the heavier gold pole I bought back in 1993 (and used to salvage the Skimlite from the murky bottom) is losing its paint, and I much prefer the Eliptilock mechanism to the system it uses. Skimlite's three part pole, according to the site, is in three pieces solely to simplify shipping, as it can be shipped by courier, rather than slower freight options. Someone else just mentioned that it also fits better in the service van.

mickey4paws said:
Thanks a lot for the reply, Derek, I really appreciate it. That's quite a testament to Skimlite that yours is still working after all these years. I've bought those cheap ones before too and they always break or bend. One time I got one of the blue aluminum ones and I couldn't believe it when my hands turned blue from the paint on it. So that's why I want to go with a good quality pole now. Still can't figure out why someone would want a 3 part pole as opposed to a 2 part pole. I guess I don't see what benefit 3 parts would have over the 2 part one, especially if their total length is the same.

Thanks, Richard and Derek, that definitely makes sense. Fortunately I don't have to worry about a van :)

After I wrote my last post, I went outside and was looking at our assortment of cheap poles (definitely time to toss them). I think one of the poles may be an Eliptilock. It's a silver 3 piece pole, looks to be really old in age. One of the pieces still locks good, while the other piece won't lock at all. It's so old that there's no markings on it to possibly tell what brand.

Meanwhile, I found a website that has the Eliptilock 3008 for $47, the 9016 for $63 and the 3500 for $72, plus shipping of about $12. I bookmarked the site at work but I'll see if I can find it again. The local pool store has the cheapo ones for about $25. I think it's probably worth it to spend more and go with something that will last.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.