Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Balanced pool causing itchiness? could it be...

1. Back To Top    #1

Balanced pool causing itchiness? could it be...

Hi all,

One of the pools caused itchiness to one guest some days ago, but the strange thing is that the pool levels were ok..

8,500 gallons
    bleach pool
    FC: 5
    pH: 7.5
    TA: 110
    CH: 250
    CYA: 70

Do you read anything wrong here?

I need to add one thing that I am not sure if it could be the source of this itchiness.... The pool has a problem with the drain and some other plumbing installation, so it was decided by the contractor taking care of this problem, to close the pool drain valve so it won't leak..(apart from other issues)..

Do you think that this could be the source of the itchiness? I was just thinking something like "maybe if water doesn't circulate well... chlorine gets accumulated in the pool causing maybe the skin to itch?"... but I have no support on this thought.. is just an idea.. + the FC level is in range..

What do you think?
    In charge of some SWG and Bleach pools... still a newbie..

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Balanced pool causing itchiness? could it be...

I'm fairly new to this myself, having owned/maintained a pool for only 6 months. But some thoughts are:
    - FC 5 is on the low end for CYA 70. See the CL / CYA chart: pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock
    - Did the itchiness occur to only 1 guest as you stated? Maybe that person has sensitive skin. My son with mild eczema gets dry skin / rash if I use the wrong sunscreen or lotion on him.
    - With the drain shut off, I would wonder how well the water is circulating. Try testing water samples from different spots / depths.
    42,000 gallon, 24'x44' rectangle, inground plaster.
    Pool age 30+ years.
    Hayward C-4025 cartridge.
    Polaris 280.

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't see much in those numbers that would cause one person's skin to itch when nobody else's did. I agree with dchan as far as not letting that FC go lower than that.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by HardTrance9
    Hi all,

One of the pools caused itchiness to one guest some days ago, but the strange thing is that the pool levels were ok..

8,500 gallons
    bleach pool
    FC: 5
    pH: 7.5
    TA: 110
    CH: 250
    CYA: 70

Do you read anything wrong here?

I need to add one thing that I am not sure if it could be the source of this itchiness.... The pool has a problem with the drain and some other plumbing installation, so it was decided by the contractor taking care of this problem, to close the pool drain valve so it won't leak..(apart from other issues)..

Do you think that this could be the source of the itchiness? I was just thinking something like "maybe if water doesn't circulate well... chlorine gets accumulated in the pool causing maybe the skin to itch?"... but I have no support on this thought.. is just an idea.. + the FC level is in range..

What do you think?
    CC level is...? Those are the irritants, I'd check that.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks guys. Seems like the person might be sensitive. There were two people, and only one felt the itchiness...

I know skin on every person is different but oh well... Once a pool with 6 people was being used and only one guy got itchy.. pH was at 7.8 and once it was lowered to 7.5 he felt much better.. (he even had his own test kit, so don't know if it was more psychological or rational or so..but it worked to have it a 7.5 )....

By the way CC was "0".

Thanks!
    In charge of some SWG and Bleach pools... still a newbie..