Why not Flexpipe? Why 2" rigid?

Heckpools said:
simicrintz said:
No hard feelings here :cheers:

I (personally) have no use for flex, and will never see it as a quality alternative to rigid, in my area. I've seen it used behind raised bond beam walls to feed water features, and the homeowner sticks a shovel clean through it trying to plant something. That would not have happened if rigid had been used, chances are. But, like I said earlier, I can see that it may have its uses in other situations. I just don't have any of those situations where I live :cool:

2" is better for more efficient water movement. That will apply to rigid or flex :goodjob:

i bet i can get a shovel through a piece of rigid :-D
Ive never seen anyone hate flex as much as this man here...
The only thing i dont like about flex is termites can and have chewed hols into it. But alot of builders will pour the cement color over the plumbing.. well where they can anyway.
Bruce, can i sent you a roll of 1.5"X50ft of flex for xmas?
you on xmas morning :rant: i told these darn vinyl guys this stuff is the devil!!

Oh, it's gonna be a banner Christmas at the old Bender house, Johnny (sorry, one of my favorite movies :cool: ).

I wouldn't ask you to do such a nice thing like that for me, Matt! It is a nice offer though, and I do appreciate it. Besides, the only use I would have for 1 1/2 is the pool cleaner line; it's too small to be used for much else :twisted:

;216422 said:
If that misinformation that you got here was from me, then I will apologize for your embarrassment in requesting it from the builders you spoke with.

Now, I also want to clarify, and suggest a little common sense come in to play. If freezing is an issue, and deep burial is not an option, then I totally understand that flex may be a good (or maybe the only) option in this case. That is not what I was trying to convey. My point on flex is that it is an inferior strength product to rigid PVC, with much greater opportunity for failure. It is more susceptible to abrasion from rocks, puncture from tie wire or penetration from a shovel, if accidentally hit. If termites are present, they will eat it. None of those issues are present with rigid PVC.

Where I am located (and it does not freeze) flex is an inferior way to plumb a pool. A good plumber does not worry about his joints leaking (we keep all plumbing under pressure until plaster, so we know if we have a leak) and I cannot recall a leak from a fitting in the last 15 years that I have been in pools, or in all the miles of grove plumbing I did prior to getting in to the pool industry. We all (in my group) plumb everything above ground with clear glue as well, so that it looks neater, and we do not have leaks, even though we cannot see the primer/glue for coverage. A good plumber can plumb a pool in rigid PVC, with no leaks. The only reason (again, here) for flex is to go faster; it is not a better product, it is just faster and easier to work with than PVC.

Again, I am sorry if I embarrassed anyone, and I apologize.

My pool is close to 20 years old and I am in NJ which we all know is a freeze zone. The builder used flex pipe when the pool was installed around 20 years ago. Ive found in the past a kink in the flex pipe and it rots form the inside out. Im in the process of repairing another leak and found 2 pipes for my return lines kinked and leaking at where the kink is. I would not recommend the flex pipe at all. The sad thing for me is that 90% of the suction and return lines are under concrete around the pool. Does anyone think that converting to salt would be better than using my chlorinator?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.