Why not Flexpipe? Why 2" rigid?

Quit arguing with me; can't you see I am right and you are wrong :roll: :lol: :lol:

Alright, I quit. I promise I will never again post anything derogatory about fl..., fle......, ack! I can hardly say it; flex pipe again! In fact, I'll even go so far as to bow down to flex and say it has it's place :bowdown: :bowdown:

That's the last you'll hear from me on this :cheers: :cheers:

I think the flex in the US must be a lot weaker than the flex we have here. It is about 1/4" wall thickness and has an embedded wire and costs MUCH more than rigid. If I hit the flex I use here with a pick axe it will bounce off. The rigid however will smash. Also with the flex you can acheive smooth long curves reducing plumbing head losses. I do like to use rigid in the pump room though, much neater except for the connections to the pump. We don't leave our pumps and filters out in the open though, like you guys in the US seem to, we always build a pump room. We also get clay heave here which doesn't suit rigid in the ground. This is when the clay gets wet and then dries out and moves considerably.

Quite possibly Solarboy, your description of flexi matches what I use. I roughen up the shiny surface of the flexi prior to gluing soo I get a really good chemical bond. Other fitters in France don't do that and I have been able to pull their joints apart and re-use the fittings, I have not been able to do that with mine.

Sounds like the same stuff I use. Very hard to push in when it's dry as it needs the glue to lubricate the fitting. I always roughen it up too. Just as a side note, I've been roughening up inside PVC fittings with a rotary sanding "flapper" in a cordless drill recently; makes it soo much faster when doing multiiple fittings.

Wow, I never expected such a lengthy discussion of pipe! No one has addressed the 2 inch size issue though.

It is good to see the arguments so as a consumer I can hear the reasons why or why not and make my own decision. I hope there are no hard feelings created. I really do appreciate all the information.

FYI, we do have heavy, wet, freezing, heaving, clay soil. We have to bury our deck posts below 48 inches or they heave. We do have a lot of movement in our soil due to an underground spring. I would think flex would be best in case the soil washes out underneath and we can't see it.

It happens under our sidewalks and driveways in the neighborhood.

No hard feelings here :cheers:

I (personally) have no use for flex, and will never see it as a quality alternative to rigid, in my area. I've seen it used behind raised bond beam walls to feed water features, and the homeowner sticks a shovel clean through it trying to plant something. That would not have happened if rigid had been used, chances are. But, like I said earlier, I can see that it may have its uses in other situations. I just don't have any of those situations where I live :cool:

2" is better for more efficient water movement. That will apply to rigid or flex :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Simbilis said:
MNPoolDreamer said:
Wow, I never expected such a lengthy discussion of pipe! No one has addressed the 2 inch size issue though.

Some sources on pipe sizing:
Well I use 63mm flexi to aid water movement from the skimmer as it's some distance. Flexi must be different to yours, you cannot put a spade through ours without giving yourself a hernia :-D

simicrintz said:
Yeah, probably a NAFTA product here :evil: Doesn't sound like the same stuff you guys are using (unless you're lying to me :shock: :-D ).
I dunno, stuff i have, and have used, is tough as nails. Thats why I always scoffed at the claims a simple shovel would poke a hole in it, or a rock for that matter. The stuff i have is ribbed; it's not smooth.

simicrintz said:
No hard feelings here :cheers:

I (personally) have no use for flex, and will never see it as a quality alternative to rigid, in my area. I've seen it used behind raised bond beam walls to feed water features, and the homeowner sticks a shovel clean through it trying to plant something. That would not have happened if rigid had been used, chances are. But, like I said earlier, I can see that it may have its uses in other situations. I just don't have any of those situations where I live :cool:

2" is better for more efficient water movement. That will apply to rigid or flex :goodjob:

i bet i can get a shovel through a piece of rigid :-D
Ive never seen anyone hate flex as much as this man here...
The only thing i dont like about flex is termites can and have chewed hols into it. But alot of builders will pour the cement color over the plumbing.. well where they can anyway.
Bruce, can i sent you a roll of 1.5"X50ft of flex for xmas?
you on xmas morning :rant: i told these darn vinyl guys this stuff is the devil!!

salp said:
Just curious, what do they use to plumb homes 4 feet deep out East; Steel, Rigid PVC or Flex PVC?

My septic is all rigid PVC, but the only part buried outside is a few feet of pipe to the septic tank.

My well pipe is 75' or so of hard but bendable black plastic-looking pipe buried about 6' deep. It's neither rigid PVC nor flex pipe, I'm not sure what it is.

Hope that confuses the issue still more ;)

Water lines up here are copper to the house. Like i said, code is 5 feet, but i've seen them 4 and be ok.
The ground heaves up here. Thats why you never see concrete driveways and darn few paver drives. Almost every driveway, even in 20 million dollar houses, is asphalt, mostly.

I know about the driveways... I would have never guessed they buried copper pipe. We have copper at the house, but directly down below its attached to Rigid SCH80 PVC. I think its only required to be 2' down. Learn something new everyday!

Thanks BK

FYI, ****Nice 1,000th post****

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.