Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: One Time deck stain anyone ever used it.

1. Back To Top    #1

One Time deck stain anyone ever used it.

Has anyone ever used a stain called One Time it is kind of expensive but supose to be really good and last at least 7 years. Just looking for some info from somebody that has used it before i spend a lot of money on something that turns out to be no good.
    30' round AG pool 21,200 Gallons, 52" high, 1 1/2 HP Pump;
    25" 300lb. Cooper Ranger sand filter .

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: One Time deck stain anyone ever used it.

Quote Originally Posted by mike3554
    Has anyone ever used a stain called One Time it is kind of expensive but supose to be really good and last at least 7 years. Just looking for some info from somebody that has used it before i spend a lot of money on something that turns out to be no good.
    Where you do live? At our altitude and dryness, that 7 years would likely be 2. We usually seal yearly. I like Penofin for deck and fencing. That's what I'm putting on my new decks here. I just plan on resealing yearly.
    Richard
    Temecula, CA
    28,000 Gal. In-Ground plaster and tile, Total Control AutoPilot with SC-60 SWG and PH control, Pentair EasyTouch 8, EasyTouch Wireless Remote, Intelliflo VS+SVRS pump, Intellibrite lighting, Pentair Quad 100, Solar heating, Pentair Mastertemp 400 Gas Heater, The Pool Cleaner 4x, Aquabot Turbo T2 Robotic Cleaner, Water feature spillover from SPA.

3. Back To Top    #3

I live in alabama we dont have to worry about it being dry have to worry about the heat and humidity.

4. Back To Top    #4

I have just stained my deck with one time. Was it pricey? Yep, but if I get5+ years out of it I have saved money. I stained everything I had outside that was wood with the leftover product. Apply it when it is cooler outside as the sun makes the product cure and it becomes thick and doesn't go as far. I guess the test will be how it looks next spring. Right now, it looks great and I'm glad I spent the time and money on it.
    2005 Dimension One Venture model 370 gal. hot tub. We'll be using the TFP method to keep it clean and ready to use!
    TFP - The Finest Phorum on the Net!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Dora
    I have just stained my deck with one time. Was it pricey? Yep, but if I get5+ years out of it I have saved money. I stained everything I had outside that was wood with the leftover product. Apply it when it is cooler outside as the sun makes the product cure and it becomes thick and doesn't go as far. I guess the test will be how it looks next spring. Right now, it looks great and I'm glad I spent the time and money on it.
    Any pics?
    Richard
    Temecula, CA
    28,000 Gal. In-Ground plaster and tile, Total Control AutoPilot with SC-60 SWG and PH control, Pentair EasyTouch 8, EasyTouch Wireless Remote, Intelliflo VS+SVRS pump, Intellibrite lighting, Pentair Quad 100, Solar heating, Pentair Mastertemp 400 Gas Heater, The Pool Cleaner 4x, Aquabot Turbo T2 Robotic Cleaner, Water feature spillover from SPA.

6. Back To Top    #6

It sounds like they need to change the name to "One Time (Until the Next Time)" stain

7. Back To Top    #7

Instead of spending time and money on stain, just build the deck out of Trex.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by bk406
    Instead of spending time and money on stain, just build the deck out of Trex.
    That's what I did, composite railings too Just spray it down with some bleach and water every 6 mo's and I'm done.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

9. Back To Top    #9

One time is expensive but not nearly as expensive as Trex. If i could afford a 48x40 deck out of Trex i would have just built an in ground pool.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by mike3554
    One time is expensive but not nearly as expensive as Trex. If i could afford a 48x40 deck out of Trex i would have just built an in ground pool.
    Same here...composites are 4x or more the cost of redwood. When I did the math, the deck material alone, not including structural was like $9000 (2 decks though). I just couldn't justify it.
    Richard
    Temecula, CA

11. Back To Top    #11

I hear ya...for me 24x18 deck it was about a $3K price diff in material (DIY), but i've sanded and stained my previous decks...NO THANKS

Anyway...I apologize for supporting the off topic discussion...back on topic.. I have used Sikkens stain with very good results...usually good for 2 seasons. Any stain that advertises 7+ years...may be true, but realistically mold/mildew will require you to powerwash or scrub deck wash at least annually regardless of material...no stain will hold up 7 years and look like it did year 1.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

12. Back To Top    #12

I used the One Time (until next time) Lol.....put it on my deck 2 years ago.......LOVE IT.....pricey Yes....but worth it vs. sealing every year. I have 3 decks.....upper, lower, and one for hot tub top to sit level with top deck......I will use it again......whenever needed. It is totally different than any of the cheap ones.....cheap ones just sit on top and coats it.....this penetrates and hardens like a resin making it waterproof.....I did a LOT of research (as usual) before purchasing the 5 gallon bucket of honey colored liquid......keeps my deck looking like it was just built.....while my neighbors is all grey weathered looking......they have lots of colors and whoever carries it has free samples of each color.....I took a board and tried different colors but like the original color of it when built.