Algae madness

RWH31

Aug 27, 2010
First of a big Hello to all, Newbie on the forum and the forum looks great.

On to my problem... Pool started off as a white haze and now is a cloudy green mess, I have been battling with it for almost 3 weeks now, taking samples in for readings, shocking the tar out of it to the point of bleaching part of my liner in one corner, adding an entire bottle of algacide 60, cleaning the sand in my filter (only 2nd summer with the sand) Vacuum to waste. what else can I do?

Latest test results are:

FC 14ppm
TC 14ppm
CC 0.1ppm
PH 7.4ppm
Hardness 300ppm
Alkalinity 135ppm

Never had a problem like this in 13 years of the pool, pool supply store is baffled and so am I.... I was thinking of trying some Borax as a last gasp attempt... any thoughts?

Someone help!!! pleeeeeeaase!

Any help will be greatly appreciated...

We need to know the CYA level. The shock level depends on that.

The very best thing you can do - the very best - is get your own test kit. The kind you'll find in the stores won't help you with shocking, they don't read high enough. Test Kits Compared will explain it all. My recommendation is to break out the credit card right now and go order a TF100XL. And a speedstir. Best money you'll ever spend on your pool. I'm advocating the XL because you'll be using a lot of the test reagents clearing your swamp; plus, once it's clear, you'll likely be testing obsessively. It's a common manifestation of sparklypoolitis.

Test kit in hand, you can get a full set of results for us, so we can advise, and then it will be quite easy to clear the swamp.

Thanks for the quick response Richard ... CYA levels should be good as the water was a little low and when I topped it off I added a sock full of stabilizer into my skimmer .. I'll get it tested again today and see if I can order one of those kits. Would ading a box or two of Borax hurt at this point?

Thanks again

RWH31 said:
Thanks for the quick response Richard ... CYA levels should be good as the water was a little low and when I topped it off I added a sock full of stabilizer into my skimmer .. I'll get it tested again today and see if I can order one of those kits. Would ading a box or two of Borax hurt at this point?

Thanks again
I wouldn't advise adding anything until you know your numbers.

If you've been chlorinating with pucks, you may already have too much CYA, and adding more just makes things worse. CYA aka Stabilizer doesn't get used up. It just stays there unless it gets splashed out or drained. Water may evaporate, but CYA is forever.

Welcome to TFP.

Borax will do nothing but raise your PH. Saying CYA is good is not enough info. The fact that you added more makes me think you have too much, which is prohibiting you from properly shocking the pool. That said, Richard gave you good advice. Get a TF100 or Taylor K2006 and test yourself. In the mean time, you can also measure CYA using a 6 way HTH drop based kit from Walmart...I think they are 19.97. Once you confirm your CYA level, we should be able to assist.

Just back from another testing ...4days after the last one Gotta get a home test kit!

Free Chl ........ 8ppm
Total Chl........ 9ppm
Combined Chl.. 1.0ppm
Ph..................7.4
Hardness......... 240ppm
Alkalinity......... 120ppm
CYA .................72

18,000 gal inground, sand filter

With CYA at 70, your FC needs to be raised to 28 in order to Shock. You should do so with liquid chlorine so you do not add anymore CYA to your water. Once you have confirmed you have reached at least 28ppm FC you need to keep it at 28 or above (with frequent liquid chlor. additions) until:

1) CC is 0.5 or lower;

2) An overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less;

3) And, if you don't have a FAS-DPD test kit, the water is clear.

Complete shock process instructions can be viewed here

Finally!!!! After 3 endless weeks and many dollars fighting this pool , I see success.... Green is GONE!! :party: :party:

Figured I had nothing left to lose so I tried One big shocking using Bleach... found the large Jugs..5.8 ltr of 6% on sale for $2.88/Jug picked up 6 and in they went ... Still a cloudy white look but much better than the ugly green from the past 3 weeks.. Soooo happy I found this site thanks for all the great info here! :goodjob: :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.