Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Are pine needles affecting my pH

Are pine needles affecting my pH

I am getting a tremendous amount of pine needles in the pool. I scoop alot out but still have a bunch in the skimmer. Could this increase pH? Any other problems?

Are pine needles bad for the landscaping
    17,000 gal in ground with spa, wet edge surface, Paramount PCC 2000 in-floor cleaner,Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 520 Cartridge filter, 3 hp Pentair Intelliflo VS SVRS pump , waterfall with 1 1/2 hp booster, Del ozone Eclipse1 ozonator, puck feeder. Borates added 8/2/2010

Re: Are pine needles affecting my pH

Pine needles tend to eat alk and drive the pH down in a pool. They make the soil below them acidic. Grass doesn't do well under evergreens.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

Most likely it's tannic acid in the pine needles that causes the lower pH and TA.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

If you have the same water I have then lowering TA would be a good thing. I doubt that it will be much of an issue in that way.

Much more important I think is that the pine needles in the skimmer can cause the system to suck air, drawing air into the pump basket and the pump and the filter. The pump does not do well with air in the system. If bits of pine needles get past the skimmer they can mess with the pump impeller also.

I suggest that you may want to use skimmer socks to do an even better job of catching leaves of all sorts. And then you will have to remember to check them often, maybe every day in the fall, maybe twice a day if it is stormy. They are great in the spring pollen season. Not great if you pour bleach into the skimmers as that will destroy the sock pretty quickly.

Local stores carry skimmer socks, or try http://www.poolproducts4less.com
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

I'll throw my 2 cents in here since I have MASSIVE issues with pine needles due to 100 ft. white pines all along my property line which is adjacent to the pool. Let me point out that they are not mine or they would have been gone a long time ago! I keep skimmer socks in both skimmers but STILL have to clean the impeller every other weekend. Those needles will get into that impeller even with the socks, but it is critical that you have these. But, to your question of pH, I don't really notice much change in my pH. I have a SWG which is supposed to increase pH somewhat but mine doesn't seem to. Maybe this is where the pine needles come into play.

I would strongly suggest you check your impeller for needles. Mine will wrap around it like strings in a vacuum! This may be keeping your pump from running properly which might really be the issue with your pH. Just my so humble opinon! Good luck!

Karen
    10,700 gal IG vinyl
    Pentair Triton II TR50 sand filter
    Pentair Booster Pump
    Letro Platinum pressure side cleaner
    Emerson 1HP pump
    Bioguard Mineral Springs SWG
    2 skimmers