'Sand' Filter using glass - How Much?

Aug 23, 2010
UK
Hi,
I put in the required amount of glass media into my filter (details in sig). It said I could use less weigt measures (15%) because the glass media is lighter and so I have the required volume. I'm left with about 25cm (10 inches) of gap from the top of the media pile to the top of the filter. As my pressure is only 13 psi and my pump is powerful enough, could I add more filter media to get improved filtering or should I have a set gap at the top of the filter? Maye I have about an 5th of the filter volume as space.

Thanks
(I might need to add more detail but not sure what data to provide)

I opened up the filter after a weeks filtering (couple hours per day) and there's definitely activity in there!! It looked like white goo on top. This ties in with the cloudy pool I had when I shocked it. So I'll probably stick with the levels I have currently. Especially that when you move up the filter it starts to reduce the surface area of the bed and that cant be good.

Thanks for the advice and it looks like the glass is working. I dont see anyone else using it on this site which is a little disconcerting... but maybe it's too new.

Langy3366 said:
I opened up the filter after a weeks filtering (couple hours per day) and there's definitely activity in there!! It looked like white goo on top. This ties in with the cloudy pool I had when I shocked it. So I'll probably stick with the levels I have currently. Especially that when you move up the filter it starts to reduce the surface area of the bed and that cant be good.
The bed will draw the dirt in further as the pressure acting on it is constant, It's very important to bacwash gunk out of the filters if it's there as even dead algae etc is food for bacteria so if it's not there there is less to feed on.
Thanks for the advice and it looks like the glass is working. I dont see anyone else using it on this site which is a little disconcerting... but maybe it's too new.

There are people using glass, me for instance (Drydens AFM) glass has been around for some time but poor production methods in the past have produced a potentially dangerous product. New techniques have made this much better and safer. I know the MD of the company that makes your product EGFM. My AFM is re-treated to enhance it's negative charge so increasing it's performance allegedly. Whereas EGFM has only the normal filter properties allegedly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.